The Archos FamilyPad is the latest in an emerging market of oversized tablets designed for use by the entire family.
Set to launch in Europe in December, the tablet features a 34cm HD screen (13,3", 1280 x 800), allowing families to sit down and play digital board games, watch movies, share pictures or connect to social networks together. It also features a 10x multitouch screen that allows up to four people to play a game as if it's a real game board.
The FamilyPad features thousands of games to choose from including a range of pre-installed games selected by ARCHOS.
The tablet also offers USB and HDMI ports, it runs Android 4.0 and boasts 8GB of built-in memory plus a micro SD slot for expansion.
With the FamilyPad, Archos is following Sony which earlier this month unveiled its VAIO Tap 20, a family desktop computer that converts into a 20-inch tablet.
The FamilyPad will be first released in the
UK for £274.99 ($438)
- Storage: 8GB flash memory and expandable via micro SDHC Slot up to 32 GB
- Operating system: ANDROID 4.0
- CPU: ARM Cortex A8 @ 1 GHz RAM: 1GB
- Display: 13.3" inch (34cm), capacitive 10 points MultiTouch Screen, 16 million colors, 1280 x 800 HD screen resolution
- Interfaces: 1x Micro USB host 2.0 for external devices, Micro SD slot, HDMI output
- Camera: Front camera 2.0 MP (1600 x 1200) and back camera 2.0 MP (1600 x 1200)