LG Electronics today introduced to the world its G3 smartphone, the successor to the company’s G2, which beats the competition with a screen resolution that's better than full HD and a camera that uses infrared laser to speed up autofocus.
Developed under LG's "Simple is the New Smart concept," LG says that the G3 is a culmination of consumer research based on LG’s product development philosophy, "Learning from You."
"The smartest innovation in a fast evolving smartphone market is creating harmony between advanced technology and a simplified user experience," said Dr. Jong-seok Park, president and CEO of the LG Electronics Mobile Communications Company. "LG G3 is the result of our effort to actualize that idea into a tangible product. And we are extremely pleased with the result."
The G3 features a polished metallic skin on the rear cover that is lightweight and fingerprint-proof. Its floating Arc form factor feels comfortable in one hand and incorporates the design heritage of the Rear Key. The Rear Key has a newly designed power key and volume buttons as well as more premium materials and finish.
In addition, the phone comes with a redesigned graphic user interface (GUI) consistent with the "Simple is the New Smart" concept of the G3. LG adopted a minimalistic user interface design with flat graphics. The circular motif of the graphic assets in the new UI was derived from the shape and concept of LG’s logo.
The smartphone has a 5.5-inch Quad HD display with 538ppi with four times the resolution of HD and almost two times higher resolution than a Full HD display. At 5.5-inches, LG G3 boasts a screen ratio of 76.4 percent with thin bezels all around.
It also comes with a 13MP OIS+ (Optical Image Stabilizer Plus) camera with a Laser Auto Focus that promises to shoot sharp images in a fraction of the time (0.276 sec) required by conventional phone cameras. This technology enables the G3 to capture imagest - even in low light - by measuring the distance between the subject and the camera using a laser beam.
LG also simplified the process of capturing special moments. Rather than having to focus on the subject in preview mode and then pressing the shutter button, with the G3, tapping the subject to focus will simultaneously also trigger the shutter. What’s more, the G3’s 2.1MP front camera incorporates new enhancements such as a larger image sensor and larger aperture for more light throughput and better-looking selfies. A twist has been added to the standard timed selfie mode by incorporating gesture controls - when ready to shoot, simply clench your hand into a fist and the G3 will recognize the gesture and begin the automatic three-second countdown.
For video, the G3 offers high sound quality with microphones that measure the environment to identify the optimal audio level. The phone also comes equipped with built-in 1W speaker with Boost AMP.
LG equipped the G3 with a 3,000mAh removable battery and optimization technologies to maximize battery efficiency. By replacing the metal in the battery cathode with graphite, LG engineers were able to extend the lifespan of the G3’s battery. LG says the result is a battery that can keep up with the Quad HD display’s ultra-high performance without losing steam in the middle of the day.
Meanwhile, the G3 is powered by a 2.5GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 chipset. As the G2, the G3 still features 2GB of RAM, 16GB of storage..
In addition to the core technologies, the G3 introduces new UX features:
- Smart Keyboard: Adaptive technology learns as you type for faster input with less mistakes. LG says Smart Keyboard reduces input errors by up to 75 percent by tracking and analyzing typing habits and "knowing" what word the user intended to type. The height of the keyboard can also be adjusted to better fit the user’s hands and position of the thumbs. Individual keys can also be customized with frequently used symbols for even faster input.
- Smart Notice: Like a personal assistant, Smart Notice provides suggestions and recommendations based on user behavior, phone usage patterns and location to offer user information when it’s needed the most. Smart Notice can remind you of a call you declined earlier and ask if you would like to call that person back. If you have a large number of un used files or apps on the G3 taking up valuable space, Smart Notice will ask if you would like to delete or uninstall them. Smart Notice has also natural language capabilities. For example, instead of just displaying today’s temperature and weather forecast, Smart Notice will make a recommendation such as, "You may want to take an umbrella today since it will rain this evening."
- Smart Security: The LG G3 offers a number of enhanced security features such as:
- Knock Code enables users to unlock their device with a pattern of taps. Users can create a personalized code that can be entered anywhere on the screen. With the G3, users have the option of being able to use KnockON to wake the screen to check the time as well as enter the home screen directly via Knock Code.
- Content Lock keeps personal files safe and hidden from view when sharing the G3 with friends. When the G3 is connected to a PC, Content Lock prevents file previews so the data is still safe. The locked files can reside either on the G3’s internal memory or on the microSD card.
- Kill Switch gives G3 owners the ability to disable their phones remotely in the event of theft. The Kill Switch also allows content on the G3 to be wiped so personal information won’t be compromised. Kill Switch also includes antivirus scanning and remote wipe and lock, among other features.
LG will also be offering a collection of new accessories to accompany the LG G3:
- QuickCircle Case: Available in five colors, QuickCircle Case allows easy access to frequently used functions such as calling, text messaging, music and camera all from the QuickCircle window without opening the cover. In addition to the QuickCircle Case, LG will offer a lineup of Slim Guard Cases and premium Slim Hard Cases.
- LG Tone Infinim (HBS-900): Developed in collaboration with Harman/Kardon, the Bluetooth stereo headset delivers high audio quality sound in a stylish design. Built with retractable wire management technology and jog buttons for effortless search, Tone Infinim also features Name Alert to verbally notify you who is calling before you answer.
- Wireless Charger: Compact and foldable, LG’s Wireless Charger is optimized for easy portability and is compatible with Qi’s wireless power charging technology.
Starting on May 28 in South Korea, LG G3 will begin rolling out worldwide on over 170 carriers. The G3 will be offered in five colors: Metallic Black, Silk White, Shine Gold, Moon Violet and Burgundy Red.
- Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 (up to 2.5GHz Quad-Core)
- Display: 5.5-inch Quad HD IPS (2560 x 1440, 538ppi)
- Memory: 16/32GB eMMC ROM, 2/3GB DDR3 RAM / microSD slot (128GB max)
- Camera: Rear 13.0MP with OIS+ and Laser Auto Focus / Front 2.1MP
- Battery: 3,000mAh (removable)
- Operating System: Android 4.4.2 KitKat
- Size: 146.3 x 74.6 x 8.9mm
- Weight: 149g
- Network: 4G / LTE / HSPA+ 21 Mbps (3G)
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth Smart Ready (Apt-X), NFC, SlimPort, A-GPS/Glonass, USB 2.0
- Color: Metallic Black, Silk White, Shine Gold, Moon Violet, Burgundy Red
- Other: Smart Keyboard, Smart Notice, Knock CodeTM, Guest Mode, etc.