Canon's new PowerShot G3 X camera is making its official debut. It offers a 1"-type 20.2MP CMOS sensor and F2.8-5.6 24-600mm equivalent lens, giving it the most zoom power in the large-sensor superzoom class.
The G3 X also offers a dust and water-resistant construction, a Digic 6 image processor, Raw support, Wi-Fi with NFC and a 3.2" tilting touch screen. Full HD video is offered at 60p, and continuous shooting is available at up to 5.9 fps with single AF.
The camera’s ability to record Full HD video is enhanced through new features including an external stereo microphone jack, a headphone jack for audio monitoring while recording, and manual control of exposure and audio levels. The camera also features live HDMI output while recording allowing for direct connection to external video recorders as well as convenient playback of recorded movies on an HDTV.
The Canon PowerShot G3 X camera also features controls and menu operation inherited from the Canon EOS line of Digital SLR cameras, a first for the PowerShot G-Series. Controls include an Auto Exposure (AE) lock button, Auto Focus (AF) selection button and DRIVE/AF button. For photography purists, the PowerShot G3 X camera fully supports both manual exposure control and the user’s choice of RAW, JPEG or RAW+JPEG recording formats. Electronic Viewfinder EVF-DC1 featuring 2.36MP resolution and an adjustable viewing angle is also available as an optional accessory for the PowerShot G3 X.
The camera will be fully supported by Canon's forthcoming Connect Station CS100. One thing missing is a built-in electronic viewfinder, though an optional tilting XGA EVF is available for around $250.
The Canon PowerShot G3 X will be available in July for $999.99.
- One-inch, 20.2 Megapixel High Sensitivity CMOS Sensor
- Canon DIGIC 6 Image Processor
- 24-600mm equivalent, f/2.8-5.6 25x Optical Power Zoom Lens
- Improved Five-Axis Intelligent IS
- Dust- and water-resistance (approx. equivalent to EOS 70D)
- Multi-Angle, 3.2-inch 1.62-million dot capacitive touch panel LCD
- 1080p Full HD video (24p, 30p, 60p), Live HDMI output
- External stereo microphone and headphone jacks
- EOS-inherited control layout
- 31-point High Speed AF system
- Wi-Fi and NFC enabled
- Compatible with a variety of Canon EOS system accessories