Facebook is launching suggestions from M to everyone in the US. M is an assistant in Messenger, powered by artificial intelligence.
M offers suggestions by popping into an open conversation to suggest relevant content and capabilities. Suggestions from M appear when it recognizes intent in a conversation and initially will include the following actions:
- Sending stickers: M shares fun sticker suggestions for your daily life interactions like "Thank you"
- M recognizes when people are discussing payments and gives them the option of easily sending or requesting money.
- Sharing your location: M can suggest an option to share your location during a conversation.
- Making plans: If people are talking about getting together, M helps coordinating a plan.
- Starting a poll (in group conversations only): Have a hard time making decisions in a group? M lets you set a poll topic and vote in group conversations.
- Getting a Ride: Talking about going somewhere? M suggests "Get A Ride" and shares an option of Lyft or Uber.
To experience M, chat with a friend or a group as you normally would. M may make a suggestion in a conversation relevant to one of the core actions listed above, and then the M logo and suggestion will appear. You always have the option to ignore or dismiss a suggestion if it's not helpful, and if you don't want M's assistance you can mute it in M settings.
M is launching today to all iOS and Android users in the US and will eventually roll out to other countries.