Silicon Motion today introduced its new FerriSSD single-chip SSDs that features PCIe Gen 3 NVMe 1.3 interface for mission critical applications.
The SM689 supports PCIe Gen 3x4 interface while SM681 supports PCI Gen 3x2 interface - exhibiting sequential read speed of up to 1.45 GB/s and sequential write speed of up to 650MB/s. Both products can support multiple capacity configurations ranging from 16GB to 256GB and include advanced data integrity and reliability capabilities using Silicon Motion's proprietary end-to-end data protection, ECC and data caching technologies.
The SM689 and SM681 are the newest members of the FerriSSD family targeted at embedded computing applications in industrial, commercial, enterprise and automotive end-markets.
Features of the FerriSSDs include:
- End-to-end data path protection, which applies error correction code (ECC) to the SSD's SRAM and DRAM buffers as well as to the primary NAND Flash memory array
- DRAM data cache to ensure data programming and enable data redundancy, without delaying host processor operations
- Hybrid Zone which enables a single disk to be partitioned into single-level cell (SLC) and multi-level cell/three-level cell (MLC/TLC) zones
- Intelligent Scan/DataRefresh protects against the higher data loss from operating at high temperatures
- NANDXtend technology incorporating Silicon Motion's 4th generation LDPC ECC engine with RAID
- 16mm x 20mm (SM689) and 11.5mm x 13mm (SM681) single-chip package
- Supports industrial temperatures from -40 to 85 degrees Celsius
- Densities ranging from 16GB to 256GB at launch
The latest PCIe NVMe FerriSSD family is currently in production and products will be on display at the Silicon Motion booth at the Embedded World exhibition (Nuremberg, Germany, 27 February - 1 March 2018).