This year marks Google's 20th anniversary and besides organizing the world's information, Google is introducing new hardware and the third-generation family of consumer hardware products.
Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL smartphones
Google is introducing the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL smartphones, designed from the inside out to smart and helpful. Google says that the new phone can answer itself, has a camera that won't miss a shot, and is also a helpful Assistant even while it's charging.
The Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL phones offer upgrades to prior models by adding a nearly edge-to-edge screen on the larger model, more display area on both phones, faster processors and an improved camera.
Here's how the camera featues in Pixel 3:
- Capture smiles, not blinks: A feature Google calls Top Shot uses AI to help you capture the perfect photo every time. When you take a motion photo, it captures alternate shots in HDR+, then recommends the best one - even if it's not exactly when you hit the shutter - looking for those where everyone is smiling, with eyes open, and facing the camera.
- Get better zoom: When you zoom in on a phone camera, the image looks grainy. Super Res Zoom is a computational photography technique, traditionally used for astronomy and scientific imaging, that produces sharp details when you zoom.
- No light; no problem: Pixel 3 lets you take natural-looking photos in dark surroundings, all without a flash. With Night Sight, coming soon to Pixel 3, you can take bright, detailed, colorful shots around the campfire, in a moonlit forest, or after you close out the bar.
- No selfie stick required: Get everyone in the picture with Group Selfie, which gives you 184 percent more room in your photo for friends and scenery.
- No hands: Photobooth mode uses AI to recognize that when you're smiling or making a funny expression, you're ready for a selfie. It snaps the photo on its own so you don't need to reach for the shutter button.
- Better portraits, front and back: When you take photos in Portrait Mode, you can change the blurriness of the background, or change the part of the picture in focus, after the fact. Google Photos can also make the subject of your photo pop by leaving them in color, while changing the background to black and white.
- Create and play: In Playground, you can make photos, selfies and videos come to life by adding your favorite superheroes, animated stickers and fun captions. In celebration of Marvel Studios' 10 Year Anniversary, you'll enjoy seeing the characters from the Marvel Cinematic Universe (exclusively on Pixel) react to each other and to you. New packs for Weather, Pets, Sports and Signs let you have everyday fun, and coming later this year, you'll be able to sharpen your dance skills with moves from Childish Gambino.
- Super smooth video: When you want to capture something that won't stop moving, Motion Auto Focus will make sure your Pixel 3 camera stays in sharp focus automatically, as you record. And if you happen to be taking a selfie video while walking or moving around, Pixel 3 brings you front-facing video stabilization.
- Operating System: Latest Android 9 Pie + Google Assistant
- Pixel 3
- Fullscreen 5.5" display
- FHD+ flexible OLED at
- Pixel 3 XL
- Fullscreen 6.3" display
- QHD+ flexible OLED at
- Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Always-on display
- Now Playing
- 100,000:1 super contrast ratio
- Full 24-bits depth or 16.77 million colors
- True black level
- HDR Support (UHDA certification)
- Rear Camera
- 12.2MP dual-pixel
- Autofocus + dual pixel phase detection
- Optical + electronic image stabilization
- Spectral + flicker sensor
- f/1.8 aperture
- Field of view: DFoV: 76°
- Rear Camera Video
- 1080p @ 30fps, 60fps, 120fps
- 720p @ 30fps, 60fps, 240fps
- 4K @ 30fps
- Dual Front Cameras
- 8MP wide-angle and normal FoV cameras
- Wide-angle: f/2.2 aperture, 97° FoV
- Normal: f/1.8 aperture, 75° FoV
- Front Camera Video
- 1080p @ 30fps
- 720p @ 30fps
- 480p @ 30fps
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 845
2.5GHz + 1.6GHz, 64Bit Octa-Core
Pixel Visual Core
Titan M security module
- Memory & Storage:
- 4GB LPDDR4x RAM
- 64GB or 128GB storage
- Dimensions & Weight
- Pixel 3: 5.7" x 2.7" x .3"
- Pixel 3 XL: 6.2" x 3" x .3"
Clearly White, Just Black, Not Pink
- Media & Audio:
- Dual front-firing stereo speakers
- 3 mics
- Noise suppression
- Pixel 3: 2915 mAh battery Pixel 3 XL: 3430 mAh battery + Qi wireless charging
- Wireless & Location:
- Wi-Fi 5.0GHz
- Bluetooth 5.0
- USB Type-C 3.1 Gen 1
- Single Nano SIM
- Aluminum frame + hybrid coating
- Corning Gorilla Glass 5 on the front
- Soft touch glass (Corning Gorilla Glass 5) on the back
- IPX8 dust and water protection
Built for VR to work with Google Daydream View headset
With Pixel 3, you can save all your moments with free, unlimited photo and video storage in original resolution.
AI in Pixel 3 also enables new features that make your day-to-day actions simpler.
If you want to know more about something you're looking at, use Google Lens, built right into the Pixel 3 camera. To scan and translate text, find similar styles of clothing, or identify popular plants and animals, you can now long press in the Pixel 3 camera to easily open Lens. When you point your camera at information you want to remember or don't feel like typing in-like a URL or QR code on a flyer or an email address on a business card-Google Lens suggests what to do next, like creating a new contact.
You can count on even more help across other apps too, including Gmail's Smart Compose, now available for mobile on Pixel 3. Smart Compose suggests phrases in your emails so that you can draft them faster, on the go. Gboard, the keyboard built into your Pixel 3, will recommend GIFs, stickers and more, to make your conversations fun and engaging. Both are available first in English.
The Google Assistant is also baked into Pixel 3 to help you find answers and control your phone and compatible smart home devices-all with a squeeze or by using your voice. This year Google has two new Assistant features coming to Pixel.
- First, starting out in English in the U.S., Pixel 3's on-device AI helps you screen phone calls and avoid spam calls. Imagine you're at dinner with family or in a meeting at work and a call from an unknown caller comes in. Just tap on "Screen call" to find out who's calling and why, as well as other information. You'll immediately see a transcript of the caller's responses so that you can then decide whether to pick up, respond by tapping a quick reply (e.g., "I'll call you back later"), or mark the call as spam and dismiss.
- Second, Pixel users in the U.S. will be the first to get access to an experimental new Google Assistant feature, powered by Duplex technology, which helps you complete real-world tasks over the phone, like calling a restaurant to book a table. This feature will initially be available later this year in New York, Atlanta, Phoenix and the San Francisco Bay Area to help people book restaurant reservations and will roll out to other U.S. cities in the future.
Google will disclose to businesses receiving the call that they're speaking to an automated system, and has developed controls to protect against spam and abuse, as well as the ability for a business to opt out of receiving calls. For Call Screen, Google will also let the caller know that a screening service is being used.
Digital Wellbeing, a suite of tools to help you find your own balance with technology, is built into Pixel 3. It includes a dashboard to help you understand how you spend time on your phone, the ability to set time limits on specific apps, and a new Wind Down mode to help you get to sleep at night by gently transitioning your display to a grayscale screen. When you don't want to be bothered by rings or notifications, just flip to Shhh-an easy gesture that turns on Do Not Disturb and minimizes distractions.
Pixel 3 also comes with an 18 Watt fast charger in the box, which can give you seven hours of use in 15 minutes of charging. With Google's AI-powered Adaptive Battery technique, Pixel 3 prioritizes battery power for your most important apps to make your phone last all day.
Alongside Pixel 3, Google is also introducing Pixel Stand, a new, Qi compliant wireless charger (sold separately). While charging in the Pixel Stand, your phone turns into a smart visual and audio experience powered by the Google Assistant, similar to Google Home Hub. It answers your questions, plays music, helps you control smart home devices, transitions into a photo frame when idle, and much more. If you set an alarm, your screen will gently brighten over 15 minutes before your alarm goes off, mimicking the sunrise and helping you wake up naturally. Pixel 3 also comes with dual front-firing speakers to turn your phone into a powerful speaker. Cuonsumers who activate a Pixel 3 or Pixel 3 XL by December 31, 2018 can get six months of free YouTube Music Premium.
Pixel 3 is IP68 water- and dust-resistant and has a security chip custom-designed by Google called Titan M. Titan M enhances mobile security by protecting your unlock credentials, disk encryption, app data, and the integrity of the operating system code itself. Powered by Android 9 Pie, Pixel 3 comes with the latest Android operating system.
Pixel 3 is available for pre-order now from Verizon, Project Fi, and the Google Store unlocked.
There's a lot of new hardware from Google coming your way, and so are new accessories to go along with them.
With Pixel Stand, Google is tilting the angle of the screen to give you the info you need while your Pixel 3 or Pixel 3XL phone is charging.
Pixel Stand makes it easier to receive notifications, listen to music and access the web with help from the Google Assistant while your Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL are charging. Features include:
- See your favorite artists' album covers on display while listening to their music.
- While docked, turn your phone into a digital photo frame with Google Photos and relive your favorite moments with family and friends.
- Quick access to your Google Assistant so you can get a rundown of your day, the traffic for your commute and listen to your favorite podcast by saying "Hey Google, good morning."
- Smart home integrations to help you manage your home. If you have a Nest Hello video doorbell, you can get a live feed on your Pixel screen when docked.
- A gentle wake-up with Pixel Stand's Sunrise Alarm, which mimics a sunrise on your screen over the course of 15 minutes.
Last year, Google introduced Pixel Buds'wireless headphones. This year, the company included a pair of wired Pixel USB-C Earbuds in the box with Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL-the first wired USB-C headphones to include access to the Google Assistant. These not only provide rich audio quality, but also allow the Google Assistant read notifications, give in-ear directions, and provide real-time translation through Google Translate, optimized for Pixel users. You'll also get a USB-C to 3.5mm adapter, so you can use any other 3.5mm compatible headphones with your Pixel 3.
- Operating System: Chrome OS
- 12.3" 3000x2000 (293 ppi) LCD display
- Touchscreen display with Google Pixelbook Pen support
- 400 nits for use in bright areas
- NTSC color
- Dual front-firing speakers for better surround sound
- 2 mics for improved noise cancellation
- Processors: 8th Gen Intel Core m3, i5 or i7 processor, or Intel Celeron processor
- Memory & Storage
- Intel Celeron
- RAM: 4GB or 8GB
- Solid State Drive: 32GB or 64GB
- Intel Core m3
- RAM: 8GB
- Solid State Drive: 64GB
- Intel Core i5
- RAM: 8GB
- Solid State Drive: 128GB
- Intel Core i7
- RAM: 16GB
- Solid State Drive: 256GB
- Length: 11.45 in (290.85 mm)
- Width: 7.95 in (202.04 mm)
- Height: .27 in (7.0 mm)
1.6 lbs (721 g)
- Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- 48Wh battery
USB-C 45W charge adapter (5V/3A, 9V/3A, 15V/3A, 20V/2.25A) that also works with Pixel phones
- Use time of up to 10 hours
- Fast charging: up to 2 hours in 15 minutes of chargeČ
8 MP with wide FOV
- Duo Cam
- 8 megapixel, f/1.9 aperture, 1.4μm pixel size, wide field of view
- Video Recording: 1080p HD at 30fps
- Rear camera
- 8 megapixel, f/1.8 aperture, 1.12μm pixel size, Autofocus
- Video Recording: 1080p HD at 30fps
- Wireless: Wi-Fi: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, 2x2 (MIMO), dual-band (2.4 GHz, 5.0 GHz)
- Pixel Imprint Fingerprint Sensor with dedicated microcontroller for better on-device security
- Titan C security chip
- 3-axis Gyroscope/Accelerometer
- Ambient light sensor
- Hall Effect Sensor
- Two USB-Cs for charging, 4K display output and quicker data transfer
- Accessory connector for Pixel Slate Keyboard
Pixel Slate tablet
For life at work and at play, Google is bringing the power and productivity of a desktop to a tablet called Pixel Slate. This Chrome OS device is both a powerful workstation at the office, and a home theater you can hold in your hands.
Pixel Slate has an evenly balanced center of gravity, rounded edges and curved 2.5D glass. At just 7mm thin and 1.6 lbs, it has a display that covers nearly the entire front of the device. The new Molecular Display packs 293 pixels per inch- that's 6 million pixels.
Pixel Slate has also dual front-firing speakers that were algorithmically tuned to perfection for crisp highs and clear lows. Google is offering three months of YouTube TV with the purchase of a Pixel Slate or Pixelbook.
Pixel Slate also includes 8MP cameras on both the rear and front, and the front-facing Duo Cam provides an extra wide field of view with exceptional low light performance. You can even take great photos using portrait mode, which uses on-device machine learning to keep a single point in focus.
Lastly, Pixel Slate comes with up to 12 hours of battery life with typical mixed usage.
Pixel Slate is powered by the Chrome OS that enables easy navigation on a touchscreen. You can even run Linux if you're a developer. It comes with Google Assistant built in, a new launcher, machine learning-generated suggestions for the apps you use most, and multitasking tools like split screen. It's also got a full desktop Chrome browser-with all your favorite extensions.
GSuite apps work on Pixel Slate. Google Play gives you access to millions of apps from notetaking to gaming, entertainment, fitness and much more, both online and offline. When you're done interacting with all this content, Google has built in digital wellness features like Night Light and Do Not Disturb to ensure you can disconnect when needed.
As with every Chrome OS device, Pixel Slate boots up in seconds and, when online, updates in the background so you always have the latest security and features. Pixel Slate also adds an extra layer of protection with the Titan security chip.
With Pixel Imprint, the power button doubles as a fingerprint sensor, so you can unlock it just as quickly and securely as you do on your Pixel phone.
If you want to be productive, you need a keyboard. Pixel Slate Keyboard, includes a full-size, backlit keyboard, with round Hush Keys that let you type quietly, a dedicated Google Assistant key and an extra large trackpad. The folio is adjustable so you can work at any angle, then it turns into a slim protective case when you're on the go.
Pixel Slate also works with Pixelbook Pen, which launched last year and had the lowest latency of any digital pen out there. This year it's even better and comes in a new Midnight Blue color.
Starting at $599, Pixel Slate comes in several configurations. Pixel Slate Keyboard is $199, and Pixelbook Pen is $99. All three will be available later this year on the Google Store, and at major retailers in the U.S., Canada and the U.K.
Google Home Hub
Depth: 2.65 in (67.3 mm)
Width: 7.02 in (178.5 mm)
Height: 4.65 in (118 mm)
Power cable: 1.5 m
16.9 oz (480 g)
7" LCD touch screen
Speaker: Full Range Speaker, 80 dB SPL @ 1KHz, @ 1m, 2 mic array
Connectivity: 802.11b/g/n/ac (2.4GHz/5Ghz) Wi-Fi
Bluetooth 5.0 support
Ports: DC Power Jack
For life at home, Google designed Google Home Hub, which lets you hear and see the info you need, and manage your connected home from a single screen.
Google Home Hub is a smart speaker with a display. It's essentially a speaker with a 7-inch tablet screen on the front that runs a variant of the Google Assistant Smart Display software launched earlier this year. Users will be able to ask the device to pull up and display videos, visual weather information, and traffic data.
The new devices integrate Titan Security, the system we built for Google. Titan Security protects your most sensitive on-device data by securing your lock screen and strengthening disk encryption.
With the Google Assistant built-in, you can use your voice to get the best of Google-Search, YouTube, Google Photos, Calendar, Maps and more-right on Google Home Hub's display.
Google decided to not include a camera on Google Home Hub, so you feel comfortable placing it in the private spaces of your home, like the bedroom. On the top of the device you'll find the Ambient EQ light sensor. It allows the screen to automatically adjust to match the lighting in the room, so photos on Google Home Hub will blend in with the room, too.
With Routines, Hub can provide you and your family with useful info about the day ahead. Just say "Hey Google, good morning" for a personalized, visual overview of your family's activities from Google Calendar, your commute from Google Maps, your latest reminders, the weather forecast, and more. And with Voice Match, up to six people in the home can get their own personalized Routine. And I can also get easy how-to help from YouTube videos: "Hey Google, how do you make cold-brew coffee?"
You can control 10,000+ types of smart home devices from 1,000+ popular brands. With Google Home Hub, everyone in the family can see and control your devices from a single dashboard-no more switching between apps. Just swipe down to reveal your home view: Dim your Phillps Hue lights, adjust the temperature on your Nest thermostat, turn up the volume on the TV with Vizio, lock the front door with August, monitor smart cameras, and see the front door with the Nest Hello video doorbell.
Google Home Hub is also a photo frame: it's easy to set up, automatically refreshes the photos that are displayed and features your best shots. With live albums, a new feature from Google Photos, you can relive recent memories with family and friends even while Google Home Hub is not in use. Google Photos will automatically add new photos of your son to your album, avoiding duplicates and blurry shots. You can also share a live album with your mom, so when she sets up her Google Home Hub, she'll see photos of her grandson. Plus, you can say goodbye to endless scrolling on your phone to find photos you're looking for. Google Home Hub makes it easy: "Hey Google, show my pictures from the Grand Canyon".
Google Home Hub also helps you prepare recipes like a top chef. You can use your voice to browse millions of recipes and start cooking, all hands-free. Google teamed up with Tasty to bring their family-friendly recipe videos to Google Home Hub.
When you buy Hub, you'll get six months of YouTube Premium for free, so you can enjoy not just YouTube Music, but all of YouTube ad-free. You can also enjoy music from Spotify, Pandora, iHeartRadio and other popular music services (you may need a subscription).
When you're ready for bed, just say, "Hey Google, good night" to set an alarm, turn off compatible lights and TVs, lock the front door (as long as you have a supported lock) and fall asleep to soothing music.
You can buy Hub for $149, and starting today, you can pre-order from the Google Store. You'll find Google Home Hub on shelves on October 22 at Best Buy, Target, Walmart, and other retailers.