Apple has released the iOS 12.1.1 update for the iPhone and iPad with new features and bug fixes.
Here is a breakdown of what is included in the update:
- For the iPhone XR, notification preview using Haptic Touch is now supported. Apple integrated Haptic Touch on the iPhone XR instead of 3D Touch. The iPhone XS and XS Max both have 3D Touch so notification preview already worked on those devices.
- On the iPhone XR, iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max, dual SIM with eSIM is now supported by additional carriers. Since the iPhone XR, iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max have Dual SIM with a nano-SIM and eSIM, it allows users to activate a cellular plan from their carriers without having to use a physical nano-SIM.
- iOS 12.1.1 includes one tap to flip between the rear- and front-facing camera during a FaceTime call. You will now notice this feature in the bottom bar.
- Plus Live Photo capture support has been added during one-to-one FaceTime calls. So you can still take animated photos during video calls. This feature does not work for Group FaceTime calls though.
- On the iPad, you can also now hide the sidebar while viewing the News app in landscape orientation. Apple fixed dictation bugs in VoiceOver and real-time text (RTT) has been added when using Wi-Fi calling on iPad and iPod touch. Apple also rolled out tvOS 12.1.1, macOS Mojave 10.4.2 and HomePod 12.1.1 today as well.
Here are the release notes for iOS 12.1.1:
iOS 12.1.1 adds features and fixes bugs for your iPhone and iPad. Features and improvements include:
- Notification preview using haptic touch on iPhone XR
- Dual SIM with eSIM for additional carriers on iPhone XR, iPhone XS, and iPhone XS Max
- One tap to flip between the rear and front-facing camera during a FaceTime call
- Live Photo capture during one-to-one FaceTime calls
- The option to hide the sidebar in News on iPad in landscape orientation
- Real-time text (RTT) when using Wi-Fi calling on iPad and iPod touch
- Stability improvements for dictation along with VoiceOver
Bug fixes include:
- Fixes an issue where Face ID may temporarily become unavailable
- Addresses an issue that prevented visual voicemail from downloading for some customers
- Fixes an issue in Messages that could prevent predictive text suggestions when typing on the Chinese or Japanese keyboards
- Addresses an issue that could prevent Voice Memos recordings from uploading to iCloud
- Fixes an issue where time zones may not have updated automatically
This release also adds features and fixes bugs for HomePod including:
- Support in Mainland China and Hong Kong
- HomePod LEDs illuminate during Group FaceTime calls
For information on the security content of this update, visit https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222.