Lenovo's Motorola today introduced to the world its newest flagship devices – the motorola edge and motorola edge+.
"We knew any flagship device we created would have to turn heads and give consumers a true reason to look at a new device, be built from the ground up to be a 5G powerhouse, and be completely in lockstep with consumer insights, nailing every important feature with outstanding user experiences (like the all-new My UX collection of software features that allows users to customize their experience to be even more intuitive and personal). With this new family of devices we are introducing today, we believe we’ve done just that," said Francois LaFlamme, VP, Global Marketing.
motorola edge+ was built for speed, power, and 5G performance. It uses Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 865 Mobile Platform, 12 GB of Micron DDR5 memory, along with an 5G antenna array that connects you with both mmWave and sub-6GHz frequencies for global 5G compatibility and future speeds over 4 Gbps. it also supports Wi-Fi 6.
With motorola edge+, the company is bending the display like never before. A brand new Endless Edge display wraps nearly 90-degrees around both sides of the device and stretches 6.7 inches. The cinematic 21:9 screen ratio is the default aspect for major films and tv shows. The 90Hz display is capable of showing a billion shades of color and offering dynamic picture quality with HDR10+.
The Endless Edge display isn’t just beautiful, it’s functional too. The curved screen and narrow width on the motorola edge+ provide the optimal proportions for one-handed use and navigation, making it easy to reach across the device without fumbling. Edge Touch, part of our new My UX suite of software features, allows you to customize new ways to interact with your device. Just swipe up or down on the edge to pull down notifications or switch apps. The display edges also come in handy when your phone isn’t in your hand, lighting up to show battery charging status, incoming calls, alarms, and notifications from across the room. In the new Moto Game time, gamers can turn the phone sideways and use two additional, customizable buttons on the top edge of the screen for console-like four finger gameplay.
Motorola says the edge+ has the loudest, most powerful stereo speakers in a smartphone ever, plus precision tuning for professional-quality sonic performance and deeper sound. The audio tuning technology comes from Waves.
The device also comes with a 108 MP sensor main camera, which is physically nearly three times larger than the 12MP sensors used on predecessor flagship smartphones. With Quad Pixel technology, this sensor has 4x the light sensitivity. The triple camera system gives you a lens for every shot. Capture more from far away with high-res optical zoom on the 8MP telephoto lens, snap more of the scene with a 16MP ultra-wide angle lens, or get up close and personal with Macro Vision.
The motorola edge+ allows you to record in 6K. Advanced video stabilization compensates for motion blur, changing focus, and crooked horizons, and even combines OIS and EIS for better low light video quality. The new video snapshot feature even lets you pull out a high res 20 MP photo while shooting video. The camera system has software features like video portrait mode, which brings a blur effect to your videos to turn the focus to your subject. Plus, dual OIS on the main and telephoto cameras compensates for unwanted camera movement.
Motorola packeda 5000 mAh battery into this device, the largest battery of any 5G phone on the market, to last you two full days of use. For added convenience, motorola edge+ features TurboPower wired charging and wireless charging, plus you can share power with other devices in a snap with wireless power sharing.
The device runs on near-stock Android 10 and My UX, allowing users to customize their experience to be even more personal, so it works the way they want. And it’s all in one place, the Moto app.
My UX includes all the moto experiences, from turning on the flashlight with a simple chop gesture to launching the camera with the twist of a wrist. And with motorola edge+, in addition to the new edge display interactions, My UX let’s users take music, videos and games to the next level with custom settings and advanced controls. Users can even create their own device themes by choosing from unique fonts, colors, icon shapes, and fingerprint sensor animations, so their phone is one in a million.
For those who are interested in switching to a supercharged 5G device at an even more affordable price, motorola edge offers camera, entertainment, and performance experiences. You get the exact same 6.7” Endless Edge display and audio experience as motorola edge+. This phone also packs sub-6 GHz 5G performance, a Qualcomm Snapdragon 765 mobile platform, a 4500 mAh battery to back it up, and a triple camera system that features a 64MP main lens, 16MP ultra-wide lens with Macro Vision, and an 8 MP telephoto lens.
Availability & pricing
Beginning in May, motorola edge+ will be available in various countries across Europe, in UAE at Etisalat and du and in KSA at stc. In the coming months, motorola edge+ will begin to roll out in India and select Latin American markets.
In the U.S., the new edge+ will be available exclusively on Verizon, starting May 14 for $41.66 a month for 24 months on Verizon Device Payment (0% APR; $999.99 retail).
Customers who get a new line of service on select Unlimited plans can save up to $550 on a new Motorola edge+ with an applicable trade-in. Additionally, customers who switch from another carrier to a select Verizon Unlimited plan get a $150 Verizon e-gift card for a total savings of up to $700. Plus get a Verizon Stream TV, an Amazon Echo Dot and smart plug on Verizon. Current Verizon customers on select Unlimited plans can save up to $250 on a new Motorola edge+ with an applicable trade-in11 when you upgrade.
In Canada, the new edge+ will be available at Bell, Rogers, TELUS and Freedom Mobile.12 For more information, visit motorola.ca.
Motorola edge will be available in Italy beginning in May ( MSRP: €699 ) and launched to various European countries in the following weeks. In the coming months, motorola edge will begin to roll out across select markets in Latin America and Asia Pacific.
In the U.S., the new edge will be available later this year.
Mororola edge+ specs
- Operating System: Android 10 with access to the Google apps you use most
- Internal Storage: 256GB
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Proximity, Ambient Light, Sensor Hub, Fingerprint reader, Barometer
- Processor: Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 865 Mobile Platform octa-core processor | Adreno 650 GPU
- Memory (RAM): 12GB LPDDR5
- Security: On-screen fingerprint reader
- Battery Size: 5000mAh
- Charging: 18W TurboPower™ | 15W Wireless charging | 5W Wireless power sharing
- Battery Life: 2-day battery
- Display Size: 6.7" FHD+ OLED | Endless Edge display | 90Hz refresh rate
- Resolution: FHD+ (2340 x 1080)
- Screen to Body Ratio: Active Area-Touch Panel (AA-TP): 93%
- Aspect Ratio: 19.5:9
- Dimensions: 161.07 x 71.38 x 9.6mm
- Body: 6000 series aluminum | Corning® Gorilla® Glass 5
- Ports: 3.5mm headset jack & Type-C port (USB 3.1 compatible)
- Weight: 203g
- Water Protection: Water repellent design
- Colors: Smoky Sangria, Thunder Grey
- Camera Rear
- 108MP (f/1.8, 0.8µm) | 1/1.33" sensor size | Quad Pixel Technology for 1.6um | Optical image stabilization / Ultra-wide angle & Macro Vision | 16MP (f/2.2, 1.0µm) | FOV 117° ultra-wide angle / Telephoto | 8MP (f/2.4, 1.0µm) | 3x high-res optical zoom | Optical image stabilization / Time of flight sensor
- Rear Camera Video Software: Video Portrait Mode, Macro video, Slow motion video, Timelapse video, Hyperlapse video, Electronic video stabilization
- Rear Camera Software: Digital zoom (up to 10x), Shot optimization, Auto smile capture, Gesture selfie, Smart composition, HDR, Timer, Active photos, Manual mode, Portrait mode, Cutout, Macro, Spot color, Cinemagraph, Panorama, Live filter, High-res zoom, RAW photo ouput, Google Lens™ integration, Night Vision
- Rear Camera Video Capture: Rear main camera: 6K UHD (30fps) | UHD (30fps) | FHD (60/30fps) | HD (30fps) | Slow motion FHD (120fps) | High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) Rear ultra-wide angle camera: UHD (30fps) | FHD (30/60fps) | HD (30fps) Rear telephoto camera: FHD (30fps) | HD (30fps)
- Front Camera: 25MP sensor (f/2.0, 0.9µm) | Quad Pixel technology for 1.8um
- Front Camera Video Capture: FHD (30fps) | HD (30fps) | Slow motion FHD (120fps), HD (240fps)
- Front Camera Software: Screen flash, HDR, Timer, Face beauty, Auto smile capture, Gesture selfie, Active photos, Manual mode, Portrait mode, Spot color, Cinemagraph, Group selfie, Live filter, Night Vision
- Front Camera Video Software: Timelapse video, Hyperlapse video, Slow motion video
- Audio Speakers: Dual stereo speakers tuned by Waves
- Headphone Jack: 3.5mm headset jack
- Microphones: 3 Microphones
- Voice Control: Google Assistant
- My UX
- Personalize: Styles, Wallpapers, Layout, Fingerprint animation
- Moto Display: Edge Touch, Edge Lights, Peek Display, Attentive Display
- Moto Actions: Quick capture, Fast flashlight, Three-finger screenshot, Pick up to silence, Screenshot toolkit, Media controls
- Moto Gametime
- Moto Audio
- Connectivity Networks + Bands
- Networks: 5G: NR mmWave + Sub-6GHz | 4G: LTE (UL Cat 18 / DL Cat 22) | 3G: UMTS / HSPA+ | 2G: GSM / EDGE / CDMA
Bands: 5G: mmWave band n260/n261 | 5G: sub-6GHz band n2/5/41/66/71/77/78 | 4G: LTE band 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/13/17/20/25/26/28/29/30/34/38/39/40/41/42/46/48/66/71 | 3G: WCDMA band 1/2/4/5/8 | 2G: CDMA band 0/1 | 2G: GSM band 2/3/5/8
- Bluetooth Technology: Bluetooth® 5.1
- NFC: Yes
- Wi-Fi: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax | 2.4 GHz + 5 GHz | Wi-Fi 6 | WiFi hotspot
- Location Services: GPS, A-GPS, GLONASS, Galileo,