On Monday in New York City, TAG Heuer unveiled the Connected Watch, a $1,500 Android Wear smartwatch made in partnership with Google and Intel. The TAG Heuer Connected Watch is modeled after TAG's classic Carrera model. Thw watch itself is big at 46.2mm across and 12.8mm thick and it's made of lighweight titanium. it has also a sapphire display.
The watch runs Google's Android Wear operating system and works with Android phones going all the way back to those running version 4.3 Jelly Bean and iPhones running iOS 8.2 or later.
It uses Bluetooth LE to connect to your smartphone, has Wi-Fi connectivity as well, and has 4 GB of onboard storage for apps and media. Gyroscopic sensors are there for basic fitness tracking, but there is no GPS, so you will still need your smartphone nearby. The watch is also lacking a heart rate sensor and a speaker, so all notifications come through vibration. The watch will get up to 30 hours of battery life with normal use and comes with a USB charging cradle for powering up.
TAG Heuer Connected is equipped with directional wind and weather monitoring, RaceChrono Pro capability, and Google Fit. It also
provides a custom suite of microapplications, including alarm and stopwatch features.
The TAG Heuer Connected Watch is explicitly a luxury smartwatch and it will cost $1,500, making it more than four times the price of most other high-end Android Wear watches and in line with the likes of the Apple Watch Hermès edition. It is available at TAG's New York City boutique from noon on Nov. 9, with watches available at nine TAG Heuer boutiques and 19 retail partners across the U.S. and Canada on Nov. 10.
Owners register directly with TAG Heuer and gain access to a bunch of features not available to people sporting the latest Huawei or LG watches, including TAG Heuer watch faces, special timing apps, and apps that offer things like restaurant recommendations and let you track your golf game.
TAG also offes a service it calls "connected to eternity." After two years, a Connected Watch owner can bring the watch into a TAG Heuer retailer, trade it in with an additional $1,500, and receive a mechanical TAG Heuer watch in return.
- Diameter: 46 mm
- Thickness: 12.8 mm
- Weight: 52 gm
- Case 2
- Titanium Grade 2 case including:
- Horizontal and vertical fine-brushed titanium lugs
- 3D-raised and fine-brushed numerals
- "TAG Heuer Connected" lettering engraved with silver lacquer
- Black, sandblasted, carbide-coated titanium bezel with anti-fingerprint coating
- Titanium single push-button with black, carbide-coated line fine-brushed and raised with TAG Heuer shield
- IP67 splash-proof water resistance
- Titanium Grade 2 case including:
- Scratch-resistant sapphire crystal
- 1.5in fully circular transflective LTPS LCD display
- Touch on Display supporting multiple finger recognition
- Screen resolution: 360x360, 240ppi
- Weight: 29 gm
- Vulcanized rubber strap with grade 2 titanium folding clasp and safety push-buttons.
- Seven Strap colors: green, blue, orange, red, white, black, yellow.
- Battery: 410mAh battery (minimum 25 hours battery life, based on typical usage)
- Processor: 1.6GHz dual core processor (500mHz normal operation speed)
- Memory: 1GB main memory - 4GB storage memory
- Sensors: Gyroscope, tilt detection sensor, microphone, haptic engine
- Compatibility: Android 4.3+ / iOS 8.2+
- Connectivity: Bluetooth BLE 4.1 - WLAN 2.4 GHz 802.11 B/G/N
- Charger: Conductive charging cradle with USB cable and wall plug
- Warranty: Two years