1. Features, specifications
2. CD, DVD, BD reading
3. Reading of damaged CDs
4. Reading of damaged DVDs
5. CD/DVD testing platform - IQB Omni CD DVD Analyzer by Quantized
6. CD-R burning - Verbatim CD-R 48x
7. CD-R burning - Memorex (RITEK) CD-R 48x
8. CD-RW burning - Verbatim 32x CD-RW (US-RW)
9. DVD-R burning - CMC MAG AM3 DVD-R 16x
10. DVD-R burning - Verbatim MCC 03RG20 DVD-R 16x
11. DVD-R burning - RITEKF1 DVD-R 16x
12. DVD-R burning - TTH02 DVD-R 16x
13. DVD-R burning - Taiyo Yuden TYG03 DVD-R 16x
14. DVD+R burning - Philips INFOME R30 DVD-R 16x
15. DVD+R burning - Moser Baer India MBIRG101 R05 DVD-R 16x
16. DVD+R burning - Verbatim MCC004 DVD-R 16x
17. DVD+R burning - Ricoh RICOHJPN R03 DVD-R 16x
18. DVD+R burning - Taiyo Yuden YUDEN000 T03 DVD-R 16x
19. DVD+R DL burning - Verbatim MKM003 DVD+R DL 8x
20. DVD-R DL burning - Verbatim MKM03RD30 DVD-R DL 8x
21. DVD-RW burning - Verbatim MKM01RW6X01 DVD-RW 6x
22. DVD+RW burning - Verbatim MKMA03 DVD+RW 8x
23. DVD-RAM burning - Maxell MXL16 5x, MXL22 12x
24. Blu-ray burning - Verbatim (VERBATIMw) BD-R SL LTH 2x, (VERBATIMu) BD-R SL LTH 6x
25. Blu-ray burning - Panasonic MEI RA1 BD-R SL 6x
26. Blu-ray burning - Moser Baer India MBI R06 RA1 BD-R SL 6x
27. Blu-ray burning - Verbatim VERBATIMe BD-R SL 6x
28. Blu-ray burning - Verbatim VERBATIMa 8cm BD-R SL 2x
29. Blu-ray burning - Verbatim VERBATIMf BD-R DL 6x
30. Blu-ray burning - TDK TDKBLDRFB BD-R DL 4x
31. Blu-ray burning - Verbatim VERBATIMb BD-R DL 2x
32. Blu-ray burning - Panasonic MEI RB1 BD-R DL 6x
33. Blu-ray burning - Verbatim VERBATIM1 BD-RE DL 2x
34. Blu-ray burning - Verbatim VERBATIM0 BD-RE SL 2x
35. Blu-ray burning - Verbatim VERBATIM0 8cm BD-RE SL 2x
36. Blu-ray burning - TDK TDKBLDWfa BD-RE DL 2x
37. Summary of CD, DVD, BD burning tests, Bittsetting, Overburning
38. Final words
The iHBS112 is LiteOn's first 12x Blu-ray disc writer. This drive offers 12x recording for the select 6x BD-R media, which means that you will be able to burn 25GB of data in less than 12 minutes. Although 6x BD-R still expensive compared to DVDs, their availability at the market has been improved. TDK/Imation, Sony, Verbatim and Panasonic were the first companies to offer such discs, followed by Taiyo Yuden , Moser Baer India .
Besides the limited availability of the 6x BDR discs, their price is also high for the end users. Let's hope that the situation will change in the following months as the media companies ramp up their production.
Basic features of the LiteOn iHBS112 drive include 12x burning for single layer BD-R, 8x for dual layer BD-R, while . BD-RE are burned at 2x for both DL and SL.
The drive also maintains compatibility with DVD and CD discs for both read and write. The iHBS112 writes Double Layer BD-R media at 8X, and reads BD-ROM discs at 8X as well. Single Layer DVD±R discs can be written at 16X, Double Layer DVD±R at 8X and rewritable discs at 8X (+RW) and 6X (-RW) respectively. The drive reads and writes CD-R at 48X and rewrites CD-RW at 24X.
The iHBS112 incorporates Serial ATA interface. It has been designed using a short-loader mechanism for better airflow and a lower noise level, and is well-suited for today’s mini desktop PCs.
Featured with the drive is Lite-On’s patented SmartWrite technology for setting the optimum speed of operation, enabling users to "burn and work" simultaneously. Also included are SmartX technologies, used to adjust data extraction speed, such as decreasing the reading speed when possible to reduce acoustic noise and anti-vibration, and provide smooth and quiet playback.
LiteOn is also offering a Lightscribe version of the drive, the iHAS212. This model is available in retail packed with software for CD/DVD and BD playback and burning. Our test model, the iHBS112 is a bulk version, meaning that it comes bare with out additional goodies in the package. It retails at an MSRP €149.
Below you can see the table of specifications:
The rear panel is typical and has a power and SATA interfaces
Let's take a look at the drive's internal board. It is recommended not to open the case of your drive since that would void the warranty.
You can click on each picture for a larger view:
The drive's electronics is based on the MediaTEK MT1939MWDU chipset.
Here is some extra information about the drive once installed: