1. Meet the Sony BDX-S500U BD burner
2. CD and DVD reading tests
3. Reading damaged CDs
4. Reading damaged DVDs
5. Reading Blu-ray discs
6. CD DVD media quality testbed
7. CD-R burning - Verbatim 48x @ 24x
8. CD-R burning - Maxell 52x @24x
9. DVD-R burning - TDK TTH02 16x @ 8x
10. DVD-R burning - Verbatim MCC03RG20 16x @ 8x
11. DVD-R burning - CMC MAG AM3 16x @ 8x
12. DVD-R burning - Moser Baer India MBI01RG40 16x @ 8x
13. DVD-R burning - Taiyo Yuden TYG03 16x @ 8x
14. DVD+R burning - Philips INFOME R30 16x @ 8x
15. DVD+R burning - Moser Baer India MBIPG101 R05 16x @ 8x
16. DVD+R burning - Verbatim MCC004 16x @ 8x
17. DVD+R burning - PRODISC R04 16x @ 8x
18. DVD+R DL burning - Moser Baer India MBIPG101 R10 8x
19. DVD+R DL burning - Verbatim MKM 003 8x @ 4x
20. DVD-R DL burning - Verbatim MKM 03RD30 8x @ 4x
21. DVD-RW burning - Verbatim MKM 01RW6X01 6x @ 4x
22. DVD+RW burning - Verbatim MKM A03 8x @ 4x
23. DVD-RAM burning - Maxell MXL16 5x @ 5x
24. BD-R burning - Verbatim BD-R 25GB LTH VERBATIMu 6x @ 6x
25. BD-R burning - Verbatim BD-R 25GB VERBATIMe 6x @ 6x
26. BD-R burning - TDK BD-R 25GB TDKBLDRBB 4x @ 4x
27. BD-R burning - Sony BD-R 25GB SONY N3 6x @ 6x
28. BD-R burning - Verbatim BD-R 25GB VERBATIMc 4x @ 4x
29. BD-R burning - Verbatim BD-R 50GB VERBATIMf 6x @ 4x
30. BD-R burning - Verbatim BD-R 25GB VERBATIM0 2x @ 2x
31. BD-RE burning - Verbatim BD-RE 50GB VERBATIM1 2x @ 2x
32. BD-RE burning - Verbatim BD-RE 7GB VERBATIM0 2x @ 2x
33. BD-RE burning - TDK BD-R 50GB TDKBLDRFB 4x @ 2x
34. Summary of CD/DVD/BD quality tests, Booktype, Overburning
35. Final thoughts
Today we have in our labs an external, slim-type Blu-ray disc writer. The Sony Optiarc BDX-S500U writes to Blu-ray Disc at 6x speed, plays Blu-ray Disc movies, DVDs and CDs, archives large quantities of data and is suitable as a back-up medium and playback unit for practically any kind of terminal device.
Delivered with the CyberLink BD Suite, the external burner can be installed in the living room replacing the DVD player in the home cinema system. It is also optimally equipped for future home cinema applications as one of the first Blu-ray Disc players for 3D movies. Of course, the compact and light drive can be also used as a PC and notebook companion.
The burner comes with CyberLink’s Media Suite 8, a software package that includes programs such as the DVD/Blu-ray Disc playback software PowerDVD, the video editing software PowerDirector, and the DVD/BD authoring software, PowerProducer. These programs make it easy to play back 3D Blu-ray Disc videos, edit creative home video material and produce and burn your own Blu-rays Discs and DVDs with menus. Data archiving is also simple with the PowerBackup burning software.
Sony Optiarc’s new product writes single layer BD-R media (25 GB) in around 20 minutes (6X) and double layer BD-R (50 GB) media at up to 4X speed. The BDX-S500U can write DVDs at up to 8X speed, DVD-RAMs at up to 5X speed and CDs at up to 24X speed.
Sony Optiarc offers a 24-month warranty on the drive.
On the left picture you see the retail package of the BDX-S500U writer.
Besides the drive, the box includes a comprehensive set of accessories plus a Sony BD-R 6x BD-R disc (blank).
Here is the complete bundle:
- BDX-S500U Blu-ray Disc writer
- AC power Adaptor (with cord for both UK and US regions)
- User manual and quick start guide
- USB cable
- Sony BD-R 6x blank disc, printable surface
- Sony software disc
- Cyberlink PowerDVD
- Cyberlink PowerProducer
- Cyberlink Power2Go
- Cyberlink MediaShow
- Cyberlink LabelPrint
- Cyberlink PowerDVD Copy
- Cyberlink PowerBackup
The BDX-S500U is very stylish and its case plastic case has a great black glossy finish. At the top side panel there are the Blu-ray disc and DVD , CD recordable certification logos, as well as a small green led that lights up when the drive is connected to the AC power adapter.
The front side of the disc loading tray has the typical eject button, the busy indicator and the emergency eject hole. The DC input jack (power) and the USB 2.0 connector are available at the rear side of the drive:
Below you see the basic steps you should follow in order to operate the drive:
Connected to our test PC's USB 2.0 port, the drive was identified as "SONY BD RW BDX-S500U" USB device. Here is some additional information about drive as it is reported by the DVDInfo PRO and Nero InfoTool utilities: