AT&T is finally entering the home security and remote monitoring business with its Digital Life service, which is available in 15 markets.
The first commercial launch markets for AT&T Digital Life will be: Atlanta, Austin, Texas, Boulder, Colo., Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, Philadelphia, Riverside, Calif., San Francisco, Seattle, St. Louis and select areas of the New York and New Jersey metropolitan area. AT&T plans to introduce Digital Life in up to 50 markets by the end of 2013.
The foundation of AT&T Digital Life is complete home security with 24/7 professional monitoring. Through AT&T-owned and operated, U.S.-based monitoring centers, professionals will respond to emergencies and alert police and fire authorities. At&T's customers are able to choose which alerts they want to receive and how.
The wireless home management system is giving consumers the flexibility to manage their home from their smartphone, tablet or PC. The Digital Life application is available on most web browsers and apps are available for iOS, Android smartphones and Windows Phones. The app has a secure log in system each time the app is opened from any Internet-connected device.
In addition to security, Digital Life offers a suite of automation services. Through an application, users can take control over cameras, door locks, lights, thermostats, small appliances and more by setting alerts or programs to manage their homes.
AT&T is offering two base plans: Simple Security; or Smart Security which includes enhanced security features and the option to add home automation.
Simple Security includes 24/7 home monitoring, 24-hour battery backup, a wireless keypad, keychain remote, recessed sensors and an indoor siren for $29.99 a month plus $149.99 for equipment and installation.
Smart Security includes the benefits of Simple Security plus a choice of three of the following features: motion sensor, carbon monoxide sensor, glass break sensor, smoke sensor or takeover kit. Smart Security begins at $39.99 a month plus $249.99 for equipment and installation.
The Smart Security package also includes optional packages:
- Camera Package - View live video from inside and outside of the home for an additional $9.99 a month plus equipment and installation.
- Energy Package - Control appliances, lighting and thermostats for energy efficiency for an additional $4.99 a month plus equipment and installation.
- Door Package - Allow a pet sitter or repairman into your home remotely with automated door locks, or check to see whether your garage door is open or closed for an additional $4.99 a month plus equipment and installation.
- Water Detection Package - Detect water leaks before damage occurs for an additional $4.99 a month plus equipment and installation.
- Water Control Package - Detect leaks and shut off water at the main water source for an additional $9.99 a month plus equipment and installation.
Verizon Communications and cable operator Comcast also offer such services, although thsese companies require subscription to their high-speed broadband services. By contrast, AT&T's Digital Life service is available to any customer in areas where the service is available, regardless of which wireless or broadband provider that customer uses.