LG Electronics is debuting its first ThinQ mobile device this week at Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2018 in Barcelona, Spain. Building on the LG V30 platform, the LG V30S ThinQ integrates new AI technologies into commonly used features.
ThinQ was introduced at CES 2018 to identify all of LG's home appliances, consumer electronics and services that utilize artificial intelligence. The AI-based solutions for smartphones focus on the camera and voice recognition.
Vision AI includes three new intelligent camera features: AI CAM, QLens and Bright Mode that automates and enhances the smartphone's image capturing capabilities.
AI CAM analyzes subjects in the frame and recommends the optimal shooting mode among eight categories: portrait, food, pet, landscape, city, flower, sunrise, and sunset. Each mode enhances the characteristics of the subject taking into account factors such as the viewing angle, color, reflections, lighting, and saturation level.
QLens takes further advantage of the image recognition capabilities of the AI technology to scan QR codes for online shopping. Yoy can capture an item of interest with QLens to get information as to where to buy the product online at the lowest price as well as recommendations of similar items. Yo ucan also perform an image search with QLens to see matching or similar images of food, fashion and celebrities or detailed information of landmarks such as buildings and statues.
Low light photography on the LG V30S ThinQ gets a boost with Bright Mode. Instead of measuring only ambient light like most smartphone cameras, this AI feature uses algorithms to brighten images by a factor of two for better looking photos without the noise.
Another new feature is Voice AI that allows users to run apps and change settings through voice commands alone. Working alongside Google Assistant, the LG-exclusive Voice AI commands eliminates the need to search through menu options and allows for direct selection of specific functions.
Besides the AI features, the LG V30S comes with 6GB of RAM, offers smooth multitasking and faster performance, along with storage capacities of 128GB in the LG V30S ThinQ and 256GB in the LG V30S+ ThinQ. A microSD slot provides even more storage, up to 2TB. The phone is powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 835, sporting a 6.0-inch QuadHD+ OLED FullVision Display.
The LG V30S ThinQ has passed 14 MIL-STD 810G tests approved by the US Department of Defense. The New Moroccan Blue color has been updated with a green tint while New Platinum Gray gives the device an elegant look. Both devices feature a lenticular finish on the back that displays different hues under certain lighting conditions.
The AI suite of technologies in the LG V30S ThinQ is the just the beginning of the company's renewed strategy to create more intelligent smartphones. While the LG V30S ThinQ offers such advanced features out of the box, certain phones from LG will receive key AI features in future updates delivered over-the-air.
- Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 Mobile Platform
- Display: 6.0-inch 18:9 QuadHD+ OLED FullVision Display (2880 x 1440 / 538ppi)
- V30S ThinQ: 6GB RAM / 128GB ROM / microSD (up to 2TB)
- V30S+ ThinQ: 6GB RAM / 256GB ROM / microSD (up to 2TB)
- Rear Dual: 16MP Standard Angle (F1.6 / 71°) / 13MP Wide Angle (F1.9 / 120°)
- Front: 5MP Wide Angle (F2.2 / 90°)
- AI: AI CAM / QVoice / QLens / Bright Mode / AI Haptic / Google Assistant
- Battery: 3300mAh
- Operating System: Android 8.0 Oreo
- Size: 151.7 x 75.4 x 7.3mm
- Weight: 158g
- Network: LTE-A 4 Band CA
- Connectivity Wi-Fi 802.11 a, b, g, n, ac / Bluetooth 5.0 BLE / NFC / USB Type-C 2.0 (3.1 compatible)
- Colors: New Moroccan Blue, New Platinum Gray
- Other: IP68 Water and Dust Resistant / MIL-STD 810G Compliant / 32-bit Hi-Fi Quad DAC / HDR10 / Crystal Clear Lens / Google Daydream / UX 6.0+ / Voice Recognition / Face Recognition / Fingerprint Sensor / Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 Technology / Wireless Charging