The previously announced NETGEAR R6300 WiFi Router is the industry's first 802.11ac router. Following up on the introduction of that product, NETGEAR announced that it will be expanding its 11ac range with a second 11ac router and a USB adapter. The NETGEAR R6300 WiFi Router supports combined WiFi speeds up to 1750 Mbps, while the NETGEAR R6200 WiFi Router announced today supports approximate combined WiFi speeds up to 1200 Mbps and has a lower price point. Both are backward compatible with 802.11a/b/g/n to provide interoperability with legacy WiFi devices and maintaining maximum performance on Wireless-n.
NETGEAR also announced the NETGEAR A6200 WiFi Adapter, a first-to-market 802.11ac dual band WiFi USB adapter that enables users to easily upgrade their existing PC or laptop to 802.11ac performance.
The 802.11ac NETGEAR R6300 WiFi Router features:
- The first 802.11ac dual band gigabit WiFi router enabling fifth-generation WiFi (5G WiFi) at gigabit speeds: 450 Mbps (@ 2.4 Ghz 802.11n) + 1300 Mbps (@ 5 Ghz 802.11ac) Mbps
- Backward compatibility to 802.11a, b, g and n; - Two USB 2.0 ports to simultaneously access and share a USB hard drive and printer
The NETGEAR R6200 WiFi Router features:
- 802.11ac dual band gigabit WiFi router enabling fifth-generation WiFi (5G WiFi): approximately 300 Mbps (@ 2.4 Ghz 802.11n) + 900 Mbps (@ 5 Ghz 802.11ac)
- Improved speed and range for WiFi mobility
- One USB 2.0 port to access and share a USB hard drive or printer
- Backward compatibility to 802.11a, b, g and n; perfect for current and future WiFi devices
The NETGEAR A6200 WiFi Adapter features:
- Ability to upgrade existing PCs or laptops to 802.11ac speed
- Backward compatible with 802.11 a, b, g and n WiFi routers
- Fast WiFi speeds for HD streaming
- Swivel designed antennas ensure ideal antenna positioning for best performance
- Flexible placement option with a desktop docking station
Other advanced features of the NETGEAR R6300 and NETGEAR R6200 WiFi Routers include:
- NETGEAR Genie: This free app for PCs, Macs, iOS and Android smartphones and tablets enables home users to control, monitor, repair and manage their home networks easily through a simple, elegant dashboard. The app can download the utility at http://www.netgear.com/genie or from Google Play or the App Store.
- NETGEAR MyMedia: The NETGEAR genie mobile app provides the ability to find photos, video or music files anywhere on the network and play them on a DLNA media player.
- AirPrint Support: The NETGEAR Genie app enables users to print on any USB or networked printer directly from an Apple iPad or Apple iPhone.
- Guest network access: The NETGEAR genie app makes setting up a guest network simple. Guests and visitors can go online through the router without the need for secure login information. The guest network also prevents users from seeing and accessing a household's computers, printers, storage devices and other home network devices.
- ReadySHARE Printer: This feature makes it easy for the router to turn any existing USB printer into a fully functional networked printer that is compatible with Macs and PCs.
- Media Server-DLNA: The R6300 and R6200 Routers are DLNA-ready and can stream to any DLNA-compatible device in your house, including the latest smart TVs, Blu-ray players, media players, game consoles, handheld devices, tablets and more.
- NETGEAR Live Parental Controls: Centralized, flexible, and reliable parental control solution for all the devices on the network, including Macs, Windows PCs, smartphones and tablets, for a safe online environment for children and teenagers. No subscription is required.
- Automatic WiFi Security: The routers come with wireless security turned on out-of-the-box, complete with a pre-configured network name and password, protecting home WiFi networks by default.
- Easy Installation: There's no CD required, so users can set the routers up with smartphones, tablets, ultrabooks and even MacBook Air.
- USB ports: Two ports are available to simultaneously support USB storage and a USB printer on the R6300 router. The R6200 Router features one port to support USB storage or a printer.
The NETGEAR R6300 WiFi Router, priced at $199.99, will be available from major retailers and online in May 2012. The NETGEAR R6200 WiFi Router and NETGEAR A6200 WiFi Adapter retail for $179.99 and $69.99, respectively. They will be available in the third quarter of 2012.