GLOBALFOUNDRIES established of Avera Semiconductor LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary dedicated to providing custom silicon solutions for a broad range of applications.
Avera Semi was established to provide clients access to lithography technologies at 7nm and beyond while leveraging deep ties with GLOBALFOUNDRIES to deliver ASIC offerings on 14/12nm and older technologies.
With more than 850 employees, annual revenues in excess of $500 million, and over $3 billion in 14nm designs in execution, Avera Semi is ready to serve clients developing products across a wide range of markets, including wired and wireless networking, data centers and storage, artificial intelligence and machine learning, and aerospace and defense.
The new company is led by Kevin O’Buckley, an ASIC business expert who joined GF as part of the acquisition of IBM Microelectronics in 2015. Previously, he spent nearly 20 years at IBM in a variety of roles spanning both technical and executive leadership positions.
Avera Semi Application Specific Integrated Circuit (ASIC) solutions are designed to deliver system-level differentiation in semiconductors for next-generation wired/5G wireless networking, data center, machine learning, automotive and aerospace and defense applications. The ASIC offerings provide a combination of benefits:
- Leading-edge process technologies, including 7nm
- Rich IP portfolio, including high-speed SerDes (HSS), high-performance embedded TCAMs, Arm cores and performance and density-optimized embedded SRAMs
- Comprehensive design and test methodology
- ASIC expertise
- Long-term collaborations with industry
- Advanced Packaging options including high performance 2D Package Solution to support 112G HSS, and Multi-chip Integration Offerings including Organic MCM, 2.5D Silicon Interposer, and 3D TSV