"The rapid global adoption of Linux for commercial and consumer use has created a demand for reliable support of DVD recording under Linux" stated Robert Zollo, president of SAI. "WriteDVD! is the first commercial UDF writing utility for Linux that supports DVD Forum drives and media and is fully OSTA UDF compliant to ensure disc interchange with other computer systems."
Packet Writing and Mastering in one easy-to-use utility
The software provides packet writing in UDF to DVD-RAM and DVD-R/W media, and disc mastering to DVD-R media. WriteDVD! is compatible with most third party applications, making it ideal for backup, archival and basic mastering applications.
Compatibility for Reliable Disc Interchange
DVD discs formatted with WriteDVD! will be readable on other computer systems with current UDF reader software, including MS Windows. The software will also mount and read DVD discs formatted on Windows and Mac OS systems.
WriteDVD! Pro v1.0 for Linux is compliant with DVD Forum specifications for Real Time Recording Files (VRO video files), the UDF file system and UDF format. The software also complies with the OSTA (Optical Storage Technology Association) implementation guidelines for UDF. Version 1.0 complies with MMC-3 and Mt. Fuji Group specifications for device drivers to support advanced recording features, including Quick Grow, Quick Format, Multi-border and DRT-DM defect management.
* Supports most third party applications for seamless writing to DVD; or use the command line interface for mounting, reading or writing to disc.
* Copy, arrange and remove files from DVD-R, DVD+R or CD-R volumes before ejecting the disc
* Supports background formatting of CD-RW, DVD-RW and DVD+RW discs.
* Supports disc at once mastering and track at once mastering in a multi-session format to sequential recording discs, packet writing to CD-RW, DVD-RW and DVD+RW discs, and block addressable writing to DVD-RAM discs.
* Advanced, multi-threaded architecture allows user to run other applications while DVD-R, DVD+R, CD-R discs are being mastered in the background.
* Formats in all versions of UDF: (v1.0.2, v1.5, v2.0, v2.0.1. and v2.5), to ensure disc interchange with a wide range of operating systems, third party software and devices.
* Reads DVD video files in the real time recording format.
* Backup files with multi-session writing to write once discs.
* Discs are Read compatible with MS Windows UDF readers for disk interchange.
Easy to use: nothing new to learn by the user
Background formatting where supported by the drive
Ensures reliable disc interchange with other operating systems
Reliable: tested for reliable reading/writing and disc interchange use with all types of recordable optical media, PC operating systems and recordable DVD drives.
Supports computer systems running Linux kernel v2.4.20-8 under Red Hat 9 or v2.4.21-15 el for Red Hat Enterprise. Recommend 256 Mbytes RAM and 5 Gbytes of free hard disk space for use with DVD-R media. Support for Linux kernel v2.6 running under the Fedora Core 2 is scheduled for release in Q1 of 2005.
Pricing & Availability:
List Price: $89.95 US. Available 1 February 2005. English and Japanese versions are available.