Key benefits of the Flash Player 11 desktop beta include:
- Stage3D APIs - Create interactive visuals to improve collaboration on 3-dimensional models.
- 64-bit support - Support for 64-bit operating systems and browsers on Linux, Mac OS, and Windows.
- G.711 audio compression for telephony - Integrate voice/telephony into business apps using G.711 codec.
- H.264/AVC SW Encoding - Encode higher quality video locally using H.264 video.
- Socket Progress Events - Build advanced file sharing apps like FTP clients that send large amounts of data.
- HD surround sound - Deliver full HD videos with 7.1 channel surround sound directly to AIR powered TVs.
Additional feature details available in the release notes. You can download the beta here.
AIR 3 is packed with features that will benefit all developers but has a special focus for those interested in developing console quality games, delivering high quality video, or scalable enterprise applications.
The AIR 3 desktop runtime beta is provided to ensure current AIR 2.7 and AIR apps targeting older version of AIR are compatible with this upcoming release of AIR 3. Adobe said that the AIR 3 SDK will not be available in a public beta.
To learn more about the new AIR 3 mobile and desktop features and develop apps with AIR 3, apply for admission to Adobe's private prerelease program.
This beta release includes support for the AIR desktop runtime. Adobe will also make available the AIR SDK in a future release, which will allow developers to build mobile and desktop applications that take advantage of new AIR 3 capabilities including captive runtime support, Stage 3D graphics rendering and Stage Video hardware acceleration.