New AirPods Pro Available October 30 For $249
Apple today announced AirPods Pro, an addition to the AirPods family that features Active Noise Cancellation and immersive sound in a new in-ear design.
AirPods Pro are available to order on apple.com and the Apple Store app starting today and in stores beginning Wednesday, October 30.
By opening the charging case near an iOS or iPadOS device and giving it a simple tap, AirPods Pro are immediately paired to all the devices signed into a user’s iCloud account, including iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch, Apple TV and iPod touch.
The AirPods Pro in-ear headphones are engineered for comfort and fit. Each earbud comes with three different sizes of soft, flexible silicone ear tips that conform to the contours of each individual ear. To further maximize comfort, AirPods Pro use an innovative vent system to equalize pressure, minimizing the discomfort. AirPods Pro are sweat- and water-resistant.
Active Noise Cancellation on AirPods Pro uses two microphones combined with software to continuously adapt to each individual ear and headphone fit. This removes background noise.
The first microphone is outward-facing and detects external sound to analyze environmental noise. AirPods Pro then create an equivalent anti-noise that cancels out background noise before it reaches the listener’s ear. A second inward-facing microphone listens toward the ear, and AirPods Pro cancel remaining noise detected by the microphone. Noise cancellation continuously adapts the sound signal 200 times per second.
AirPods Pro promise to deliver superior sound quality with Adaptive EQ, which automatically tunes the low- and mid-frequencies of the music to the shape of an individual’s ear. They feature a custom high dynamic range amplifier which powers a custom high-excursion, low-distortion speaker driver designed to optimize audio quality and remove background noise. The driver provides rich bass down to 20Hz and detailed mid- and high-frequency audio.
Transparency mode provides users with the option to simultaneously listen to music while still hearing the environment around them. Using the pressure-equalizing vent system and advanced software that leaves just the right amount of noise cancellation active, Transparency mode ensures that a user’s own voice sounds natural while audio continues to play perfectly.
Switching between Active Noise Cancellation and Transparency modes can be done directly on AirPods Pro using a new force sensor on the stem. The force sensor also makes it easy to play, pause or skip tracks, and answer or hang up phone calls. Users can also press on the volume slider in Control Center on iPhone and iPad to control settings, or on Apple Watch by tapping on the AirPlay icon while music is playing.
The size and performance of AirPods Pro are made possible by a system-in-package (SiP) design with the Apple-designed H1 chip at its core. The H1 features 10 audio cores and powers everything from sound to Siri. The low audio processing latency of H1 enables real-time noise cancellation, delivers high-quality sound using adaptive technology and responds to hands-free “Hey Siri” requests.
AirPods Pro feature the same battery life as AirPods with up to five hours of listening time. In Active Noise Cancellation mode, AirPods Pro deliver up to four and a half hours of listening time and up to three and a half hours of talk time on a single charge. Through additional charges from the Wireless Charging Case, AirPods Pro deliver over 24 hours of listening time or over 18 hours of talk time. Charging is as simple as placing the AirPods case on a Qi-certified charging mat or using the Lightning port while on the go.
- The Ear Tip Fit Test helps ensure users get the best audio experience from AirPods Pro by testing the quality of the seal and identifying the best ear tip size for them. After placing AirPods Pro in each ear, algorithms work together with the microphones in each AirPod to measure the sound level in the ear and compare it to what is coming from the speaker driver. In seconds, the algorithm detects whether the ear tip is the right size and has a good fit, or should be adjusted to create a better seal.
- Voice-activated Siri uses the H1 chip to enable hands-free “Hey Siri” to play a song, increase the volume, make a call or get directions.
- Audio Sharing makes it easy to listen to the same song or watch the same movie with a friend by simply bringing a second pair of AirPods close to iPhone or iPad.
- Announce Messages automatically and speaks incoming messages as soon as they arrive, and when on a phone call or sharing media via Audio Sharing, Siri knows not to interrupt.
AirPods Pro will be available for $249 (US) and are available to order from apple.com and in the Apple Store app in the US and more than 25 other countries and regions. AirPods Pro will start shipping on Wednesday, October 30 and be available in stores beginning later this week (varies by country and region).
AirPods Pro require Apple devices running iOS 13.2 or later, iPadOS 13.2 or later, watchOS 6.1 or later, tvOS 13.2 or later, or macOS Catalina 10.15.1 or later.
AirPods with Charging Case are available for $159 (US) and AirPods with Wireless Charging Case are available for $199 (US). Consumers can order the standalone Wireless Charging Case for $79 (US).
Consumers can add personal engraving to AirPods Pro, AirPods with Charging Case and AirPods with Wireless Charging Case for free on apple.com and the Apple Store app.
- Active Noise Cancellation
- Transparency mode
- Adaptive EQ
- Vent system for pressure equalization
- Custom high-excursion Apple driver
- Custom high dynamic range amplifier
- Dual beamforming microphones
- Inward-facing microphone
- Dual optical sensors
- Motion-detecting accelerometer
- Speech-detecting accelerometer
- Force sensor
Chip: H1-based System in Package
- Press once to play, pause, or answer a phone call
- Press twice to skip forward
- Press three times to skip back
- Press and hold to switch between Active Noise Cancellation and Transparency mode
- Say “Hey Siri” to do things like play a song, make a call, or get directions
Sweat and Water Resistant: Sweat and water resistant (IPX4)
Weight: 1.61 ounces (45.6 grams)Charging Case: Works with Qi-certified chargers or the Lightning connector
- Up to 4.5 hours of listening time with a single charge (up to 5 hours with Active Noise Cancellation and Transparency off)
- Up to 3.5 hours of talk time with a single charge
- More than 24 hours of listening time
- More than 18 hours of talk time
Connectivity: Bluetooth 5.0