With the latest update, Nvidia is delivering Android 6.0 Marshmallow to SHIELD Android TV, and also adds support for the new-generation Vulkan graphics API. In addition to delivering Marshmallow to the living room, it also continues NVIDIA’s rollout of Vulkan drivers across multiple platforms, including Windows 7-10, Linux and now Android.
The Vulkan API provides highly efficient, low-level access to modern graphics hardware, such as the Maxwell GPU in SHIELD Android TV.
The update that brings Android 6.0 Marshmallow also delivers much more:
- Upgradable storage and home screen customization
- Quick access to the power menu on the homescreen by long pressing the "Back" button
- Switching between surround sound and headset audio in Netflix app
- Wireless support for SHIELD controller when charging via USB, including headset audio and voice search
- Improved color support for YUV 4:2:0 video playback
- Option to set 1080p 60Hz resolution on Ultra HD TVs
- Option to set RGB Full Range via Settings > HDMI > Dynamic Range
- Improved support for Denon receivers and CEC volume control for more audio receivers
Plus, all the new Android games now available - Real Racing 3, Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories, Oddworld Munch’s Oddysee, Dead Effect 2, Minecraft Story Mode and Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.