Qualcomm announced a new reference design for 5G-based fixed wireless access (FWA) home gateways.
The offering integrates Qualcomm Technologies’ advanced connectivity offerings, including the second-generation Qualcomm Snapdragon X55 5G Modem-RF System and the Qualcomm Networking Pro 1200 platform for high performance Wi-Fi 6 connectivity, along with other gateway capabilities and features. With this new reference design, broadband carriers, Internet Service Providers (ISPs), and original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) can develop and deploy all-wireless home internet solutions with the latest in Qualcomm Technologies’ 5G cellular and Wi-Fi 6 home networking technologies.
The Snapdragon X55 5G Modem-RF System supports multi-gigabit 5G fixed wireless backhaul. The reference design pairs this 5G backhaul capability with the latest in Wi-Fi connectivity, security and high-performance features, including:
- Qualcomm Networking Pro 1200 platform, a Wi-Fi CERTIFIED 6 wireless networking offering that supports up to 12 spatial streams of Wi-Fi 6 connectivity, multi-user scheduling algorithms, and advanced implementation of Wi-Fi 6 features like MU-MIMO and OFDMA in uplink and downlink across all spatial streams.
- Firewall-router-gateway using 64-bit quad-core CPU giving the reference design computing power for dynamic data processing and management.
- Security acceleration for high performance Virtual Private Network (VPN).
- Qualcomm Technologies’ Maximum User Networking Architecture, a design developed for high-density environments to simultaneously support connected devices.
- Integrated voice-calling support for hardwired Plain Old Telephone Service (POTS) with e-911 emergency call support capabilities.
The Qualcomm Networking Pro 1200 platform is available for OEM sampling, with commercial devices expected to launch in the first half of 2020.