AMD today announced the availability of what the company calls the3 "world's most powerful desktop processor", the 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX processor with 32 cores and 64 threads.
The new processors are built using 12nm "Zen+" x86 processor architecture and offer the most threads on any desktop processor with the flagship model delivering up to 53% greater performance than the competition's flagship model - the Intel Core i9-7980XE, according to AMD.
Second Gen AMD Ryzen Threadripper processors support the most I/O, and are compatible with existing AMD X399 chipset motherboards via a BIOS update.
AMD WX Series of processors are featuring the Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX with 32-core/64-threads and Ryzen Threadripper 2970WX with 24-core/48-threads. According to AMD:
- 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX delivers up to 53% faster multi-thread performance than the Core i9-7980XE.
- 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX offers up to 47% more rendering performance for creators than the Core i9-7980XE.
AMD has enhanced the 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen Threadripper X Series with higher base and boost clocks; with the 16-core/32-thread 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X to deliver up to 41% more multi-threaded performance than the Core i9-7900X, according to AMD.
|AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX||32/64||4.2/3.0||64||250W||64||$1,799||Aug. 13, 2018|
|AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2970WX||24/48||4.2/3.0||64||250W||64||$1,299||October 2018|
|AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X||16/32||4.4/3.5||32||180W||64||$899||Aug. 31, 2018|
|AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2920X||12/24||4.3/3.5||32||180W||64||$649||October 2018|
|AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X||AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX|
|Core Count||16 Cores, 32 Threads||32 Cores, 64 Threads|
|Topology||8 Cores ea. in Dies 0,1||8 Cores ea. in Dies 0,1,2,3|
|L2 Cache||512K Per Core (8MB Total)||512K Per Core (16MB Total)|
|L3 Cache||16MB Per Die (32MB Total)||16MB Per Die (64MB Total)|
|PCIe Gen3 Lanes||64 (4x reserved for chipset)||64 (4x reserved for chipset)|
|Extended Frequency Range 2 (XFR2)||Enabled||Enabled|
|Precision Boost 2||Enabled||Enabled|
|Precision Boost Overdrive (OC)7||Available||Available|
|Transistor Count||~9.6 Billion||~19.2 Billion|
|Die Size(s)||2x 213mm2||4x 213mm2|
|AMD Suggested Online Price||$899 USD||$1799 USD|
2nd Gen AMD Ryzen Threadripper processors implement improved AMD SenseMI Technology with Precision Boost 2, and Extended Frequency Range 2 (XFR2) delivering the same generational performance uplifts seen on 2nd Gen Ryzen desktop processors. Additional performance and value are delivered for the enthusiast with:
- AMD StoreMI Technology: All X399 platform users will now have free access to AMD StoreMI Technology enabling configured PCs to load files, games, and applications from a high-capacity hard drive at SSD-like read speeds.
- Ryzen Master Utility: Like all AMD Ryzen processors, 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen Threadripper CPUs are fully unlocked. With the updated AMD Ryzen Master Utility, AMD has added new features like fast core detection both on die and per-CCX, advanced hardware controls, and one-click workload optimizations.
- Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO)9: A new performance - enhancing feature that allows multi-threaded boost limits to be raised by tapping into extra power delivery headroom in premium motherboards.
All 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen Threadripper CPUs are supported by an ecosystem of exciting new motherboards and all existing X399 platforms with a BIOS update, with designs already available from top motherboard manufacturers including ASRock, ASUS, Gigabyte, and MSI.
The 32-core, 64-thread AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX is available today, Aug. 13, 2018, from global retailers and system integrators. The 16-core, 32-thread AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X processor is expected to launch on Aug.31, 2018 and the AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2970WX and 2920X models are slated for launch in October 2018.