Sony has further strengthened its Xperia line-up with the introduction of its first flagship 5G enabled handset, the Xperia 1 II (Mark two), along with the mid-range Xperia 10 II.
Xperia 1 II
- Triple lens camera incorporating Sony Alpha technology, ZEISS optics calibrated specifically for Xperia with 3D iToF.
- Autofocus camera technology offers up to 20 fps burst shooting with 60 times per second AF/AE calculations and Real-time Eye AF for humans and animals
- Cinematography Pro “powered by CineAlta” can record in multiple frame rates and offer more manual controls such as touch auto focus and custom white balance
- 21:9 CinemaWide 6.5” 4K HDR OLED display delivers colour accuracy with Creator mode “powered by CineAlta”.
- Watch a movie with Dolby Atmos sound, tuned in collaboration with Sony Pictures Entertainment, for a multi-dimensional surround sound
- Audio quality as artists intended with sound tuned in collaboration with Sony Music Entertainment, front stereo speakers, and new 360 Reality Audiowith unique hardware decoding to optimise sound quality
- 5G connectivity and Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 5G Mobile Platform, with 4000mAh battery with wireless charging
The Xperia 1 II (Mark two) incorporates technologies from across the Sony technology portfolio including:
- 20 fps burst shooting with 60 times per second4 AF/AE calculations from Sony's Alpha interchangeable lens cameras.
- Creator mode and cinema recording function Cinematography Pro “powered by CineAlta” from Sony’s professional solutions business division
- X1 for mobile based on technology from BRAVIA TV
Designed with Sony’s Alpha AF technology, the newly developed triple lens camera supports advanced photo technologies with ZEISS optics, calibrated specifically for Xperia 1 II and ZEISS T Coating for exquisite rendering and contrast and reduced reflections.
Utilising technology developed for Alpha interchangeable lens cameras, Xperia 1 II offers continuous AF that performs AF / AE calculations at 60 times per second.
This enables the first AF / AE continuous tracking for high-speed shooting at a maximum of 20 fps which is useful for shooting moving subjects such as children or animals and fast-moving sports.
Furthermore, "Real-time Eye AF, which locks focus on the subject’s eye for stunning portrait shots, is now available for both humans and animals.
Xperia 1 II fast focus also works in low light conditions: Dual photo diode sensor (Dual Photo Diode available for 16mm and 24mm cameras), an auto-focus system that covers approximately 70 percent of the sensor (Available on 24mm camera), the 3D iToF sensor (up to 5m distance. For videos 3D iToF sensor works for 70mm) and a new large 1/1.7” Exmor RS for mobile sensor makes it 1.5x more sensitive than the previous model, resulting in faster and accurate AF in low light shooting.
The triple lens camera offers versatility with three focal lengths: 16mm/24mm/70mm. The new Photography Pro “technology from Alpha” brings a user interface that is aligned to Alpha photographers, with manual controls to set ISO, shutter speed and more.
Imaging Edge for Mobile connects Xperia 1 II to Sony’s Alpha cameras enabling you to use the phone as a remote, controlling composition, focus mode and ISO sensitivity among other settings. This also allows the user to transfer photos taken on Alpha to Xperia 1 II to review colours and hues with professional grade accuracy.
Cinematography Pro “powered by CineAlta” newly supports 2K 120fps 10 bit HDR cinematic high frame rate shooting and Cinematic 21:9 4K GDR recording at 24/25/30/60fps. Touch AF, Metered Manual controls for setting exposure, Level meter and improved white balance settings offer more manual control, while the Intelligent wind filter technology from Sony reduces noise and wind interference for clear audio recording.
Xperia 1 II is powered by a 4,000mAh battery with fast charge that (charges up to 50% in 30 minutes using 21W USB PD charger, sold separately) and features Qi fast wireless charging for a fast battery boost on the move.
Motion blur reduction technology is equivalent to that of a 90Hz display and reduces frame lag for a clearer image quality and with Dolby Atmos sound, tuned in collaboration with Sony Pictures Entertainment, the result is a multi-dimensional surround sound experience.
The Xperia 1 II also features on-device 360 Reality Audio hardware decoding. Hardware decoding works with TIDAL.
High-quality music can be enjoyed through the front stereo speakers or in combination with wired headphones with the 3.5mm jack or wireless headphones. Sony says that audio tuning has reduced crosstalk to an imperceptible 20dB - over 90% lower than USB-C headphone connections.
In addition to High-Resolution and High-Resolution Wireless Audio (require compatible headset), Xperia 1 II introduces DSEE Ultimate. This new technology utilises AI to automatically improve audio frequency and bit rate in real-time, taking each track close to high-resolution audio. It works with wired or wireless headphones, with local or streaming music.
The phone's 21:9 mobile gaming experience combined with direct connection to PlayStation 4's DUALSHOCK 4 Wireless Controller (DUALSHOCK4 and XD mount sold separately) makes gaming on the go more fun and is now compatible with Call of Duty: Mobile from Activision. In addition, you can enjoy an optimised Call of Duty: Mobile gaming experience as a result of a Sony’s collaboration with Qualcomm Snapdragon Elite Gaming.
Game Enhancer, a feature that was first introduced on Xperia 1 to enhance the mobile gaming experience, has been improved with additional functionality on Xperia 1 II. It will now support Competition Set which Pins the game App to the screen and turns Xperia to a gaming-focused device, suitable for even competitive E-sports. In addition, the touch response time on the screen has been improved compared with Xperia 1.
The 5G enabled Xperia 1 II is benefitting from Sub-6 GHz network support.
The Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 5G Mobile Platform and the Snapdragon X55 5G Modem-RF system empowers you to game, capture, cross-task and connect with multi-gigabit 5G speeds and improved performance with 25% faster CPU and GPU than the previous model.
The Xperia 1 II comes with IP65/68 water resistance and Corning Gorilla Glass 6 on both sides.
Xperia 1 II will be available in Black and Purple in Europe, shipping with Android 10 from late Spring 2020.
To complement Xperia 1 II you can also purchase one of the matching covers. Xperia 1 II Style Cover View not only offers protection against everyday wear and tear but also lets you see time, date, and notifications, even when it’s closed. Xperia 1 II Style Cover with Stand is a slim case with an integrated kickstand so you can comfortably view the screen, watch movies, and play games. Both cases are available in Black and Purple to blend with the colours of Xperia 1 II.
Xperia 10 II
Sony's Xperia 10 II is an all-round entertainment smartphone.
As with Xperia 10, Xperia 10 II features a 6 inch 21:9 Wide design and a new OLED screen with TRILUMINOS display for mobile technology, found in BRAVIA TVs.
The 21:9 display presents more usability experiences exclusive to Sony, such as multi-window which allows you to have two screens or apps open at the same time for multi-tasking. Plus, there’s the added ability to switch easily between last used and recommended apps for easier usability with new multi-window switch feature. Side sense also offers easy access to your favourite apps with a touch of your thumb.
Xperia 10 II features a triple lens camera offering 12MP, and two 8MP lenses and the same focal length combination as Xperia 1: ultra wide-angle (16mm), wide-angle (26mm) and telephoto (52mm).
Trust Xperia 10 II to capture a shot every time with its new and improved colour reproduction thanks to Sony’s leading digital imaging know-how. With this enhancement you can create photos easily with preset settings for Food, Portrait and Night mode ensuring high quality images even in low-light situations.
The phone supports 21:9 image capture and movie recording capabilities in high quality 4K.
Xperia 10 II fits in your hand due to its slim 69mm width, 21:9 Wide display and lightweight 151g body. With IP65/IP68 water and dust resistance along with Corning Gorilla Glass 6 Xperia 10 II it is protected against the elements for worry-free use.
Better yet, the 3,600mAh battery powers you for longer. Plus, its charging technologies help the battery stay healthy; Leaving a fully-charged battery plugged in can damage it so Battery Care charges your phone to 90%, waits, then cleverly charges to 100% just before your wake-up time whilst Xperia Adaptive Charging adjusts levels to make sure the battery is never overworked.
Xperia 10 II features a Qualcomm Snapdragon 665 Mobile Platform.
Sony audio technology is packed into the Xperia 10 II with High-Resolution and High-Resolution Wireless Audio for an authentic audio experience, both wired with the 3.5mm jack or wireless.
Xperia 10 II comes in Black and White, shipping with Android 10 and available in select markets from Spring 2020.
You can also purchase the stylish matching cover, Xperia 10 II Style Cover View. Designed to match Xperia 10 II, this cover offers protection against everyday wear and tear but also lets you see time, date and notifications, even when it’s closed.
|Xperia 1 II||Xperia 10 II|
||6.5 × 2.8 × 0.3 in||157 x 69 x 8.2mm|
|Front Camera (1)||
|Processor||Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 5G Mobile Platform||
Xperia Pro 5G aimed at video creators
Sony also talked about the Xperia Pro 5G, a phone designed for video creators. Much like the new Xperia 1 II, it's a flagship level device in terms of specs, with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 chipset, 8GB of RAM, 512GB of storage and a 6.5-inch 21:9 4K HDR OLED display. However, the Xperia Pro will support high-speed mmWave 5G tech and has an HDMI port.
The idea is that the Xperia Pro 5G can receive a 4K video signal, display it very accurately on the OLED screen and transmit it to a broadcast center thanks to the mmWave tech. That would make the device handy for creators as a monitor, capture device and even a broadcast terminal. The latter will be aided by 4-way antenna and "low permittivity materials" that allow for 360-degree omnidirectional communications and ultra-fast mmWave speeds.
Furthermore, the "Xperia PRO supports professional broadcast video transmission workflows by visualizing and confirming communication status," Sony according to Sony. At the same time, the HDMI input will let you attach it to any DSLR camera or pro camcorder and "transmit broadcast video data during shooting to a server or cloud via 5G connections."
Other specs include a 4,000 mAh fast-charging battery, water resistant body with Gorilla Glass 6, Qi charging and a triple camera, features also available on the Xperia 1 II.
The device is equipped with three 12 megapixel sensors (16mm / F2.2,70mm / F2.4,24mm / F1.7) and also includes a 3D iToF sensor. it is powered by a Snapdragon 865 SoC.
There's no word yet on the price or availability.
Sony Xperia PRO specs
- Display: 6.5" 21:9 CinemaWide display, 4K HDR OLED (3840x1644), Creator mode "powered by CineAlta" – Inspired by Master Monitor color reproduction, DCI-P3 100%, ITU-R BT.2020 (REC.2020), Illuminant D65 White point, 10 bit tonal gradation, X1 for mobile, Motion Blur Reduction
- Water resistant (IP65/68)
- Corning Gorilla Glass 6
- Rear Cameras:
- 12 MP, 1/1.7" Exmor RS for mobile sensor, F1.7, 24 mm, 82° FoV
- 12 MP, 1/3.4", F2.4, 2.76", 34° FoV
- 12 MP Exmor RS for mobile sensor, 1/2.55", F2.2, 16mm, 124° FoV
- Camera Features: ZEISS quality lenses calibrated specifically for Xperia PRO, ZEISS T* Coating, Up to 20 fps AF/AE, Up to 60 times per second continuous AF / AE calculation, Real-time Eye AF for humans and animals, Dual photo diode, 3D iToF sensor, RGB-IR, OIS photo, Photo flash, Photo light, Optical zoom 3x (70mm lens equivalent), 3x Digital zoom (16, 24, and 70mm lens), HDR (High Dynamic Range) photo
- Video resording: Cinematography Pro "powered by CineAlta," 4K HDR Movie recording 24, 25, 30, and 60 fps, OIS and EIS Video, Optical SteadyShot (hybrid OIS/EIS video stabilization) and SteadyShot with Intelligent Active Mode (5-axis stabilization), Intelligent wind filter, Slowmotion (120 fps)
- Front Camera:
- 8MP, 1/4", F2.0, 84° FoV
- Features: HDR (High Dynamic Range) photo, SteadyShot with Intelligent Active Mode (5-axis stabilization), Portrait selfie, Display flash, Hand and Smile Shutter
- Audio: High-Resolution Audio, High-Resolution Audio Wireless, LDAC
- Other features: 3.5 mm audio jack, True front stereo speakers, Dolby Atmos, DSEE Ultimate, Stereo Recording, Qualcomm aptX HD audio
- RAM: 8 GB
- Internal memory: 512 GB UFS
- External memory: microSDXC support (up to 1 TB)
- Dual SIM
- Operating System: Android 10 Processor
- CPU:Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 5G Mobile Platform
- Battery: 4,000 mAh, USB Power Delivery (USB PD) fast charging, Xperia Adaptive Charging, Battery Care, STAMINA Mode
- 2G: GSM GPRS/EDGE (Bands 850, 900, 1800, 1900)
- 3G: UMTS HSPA+ (Bands 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 8, 19)
- 4G: Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 25, 26, 28, 29, 32, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 46, 48, 66
- 5G: Sub6 Bands n2, n5, n66 / mmWave Bands n260, n261
- WiFi: IEEE802.11a / b / g / n (2.4 GHz) / n (5 GHz) / ac / ax / Wi-Fi MIMO 2x2
- Location: A-GNSS (GPS + GLONASS)
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.1 wireless technology
- USB type: Type-C, Ver. 3.1 Gen 2
- Other features: HDMI micro connector (Type D), Smart connectivity, Google Cast, NFC, Output video/image via Display Port support Type-C Cable or USB-C to HDMI Adapter Cable (Display Port 4K 60 fps)