At InfoComm 2016, Sony will highlight its new large-scale display technology called Crystal LED Integrated Structure (CLEDIS), which uses Sony’s ultrafine LEDs to form a display with great depth, contrast, color and resolution. The new technology is designed for commercial applications, from industrial product design and manufacturing, theme parks, museums, and high-traffic lobbies to corporate boardrooms and broadcast studios.
The self-emitting display technology uses R (red), G (green), and B (blue) ultrafine LEDs mounted on the display surface, with each pixel emitting light independently. Each pixel is only 0.003 mm2 in size, allowing the remaining surface area to be more than 99% black.
This high black-to-surface ratio contributes to the technology’s high contrast ratio in light and dark viewing environments. The surface-mounted light source also improves light use efficiency.
The technology has a viewing angle of nearly 180 degrees, with corner-to-corner image uniformity in terms of brightness and color, even on a large screen.
The canvas has a brightness of 1000 cd/m2 (1000 nits), and will support High Dynamic Range (HDR) content, producing imagery with 10-bit color depth and a wide color gamut (approximately 140% of sRGB).
The scalable system is made up of multiple display units (each measuring 18 x 16 inches) that can be joined together with no bezels to create a large-screen display.
The canvas also features Sony’s pixel drive circuitry, to achieve fast video response with a frame rate of 120fps.
The new technology - display unit and display controller - will be shown for the first time in public at InfoComm 2016 (Booth C7708) in Las Vegas, June 8 to 10, in an 8Kx2K, 32'x9' configuration and is planned to be available in early 2017.
A visual representation of the light source, approximately 0.003 mm2 in size; black area covers over 99% of the screen surface
- Panel size (per unit): 403 mm ×453 mm
- Number of pixels (per unit): 320 x 360 x RGB
- Pixel configuration: RGB LEDs
- Brightness: Up to approximately 1,000 cd/m2
- Viewing angle: Almost 180 degrees
- Contrast: More than 1,000,000:1
- Color: Approximately 140% sRGB coverage
- Frame rate: Up to 120fps
- Size: 440 mm x 349 mm x 65mm (excluding protruding areas)
- Maximum input resolution (per controller): 3840 x 2160
- Inputs: Display Port x2, DVI-D (single link) x4
- Maximum number of units that can be controlled (per controller): 72 units
- Number of controllers that can be synced together: Up to 20