Canon provides photographers with core focal-length lenses for the EOS R Full-Frame mirrorless camera system with the launch of the RF 85mm F1.2 L USM standard prime lens.
The fifth lens in the RF family, the RF 85mm lens provides another tool for photographers using the EOS R or EOS RP cameras, in particular, those shooting portrait photography.
The new lens features a bright f/1.2 aperture which, along with the 85mm focal length. 85mm is often the preferred focal length selected by photographers when shooting portraits because it provides an appropriate depth and perspective of the subject relative to the background, helping to capture high-quality imagery with bokeh. The focal length also allows for the photographer and subject to maintain optimum distance apart to support strong communication, while not being too close.
A unique feature of the RF 85mm F1.2 L USM lens is Canon’s proprietary optical technology, Blue Spectrum Refractive (BR) Optics that helps to reduce chromatic aberrations that could occur with large aperture lenses. The BR optical element, first introduced in the EF 35mm f/1.4L II USM, is inserted into the lens and refracts blue light between the concave and convex lenses. This enables the convergence of the entire wavelength of light to one point, resulting in higher image quality from the center to the edges of an image.
Additional Features of The Canon RF 85mm F1.2 L USM Include:
- Minimum focusing distance of 2.79 feet/0.85 meters
- Customizable control ring that allows photographers to adjust exposure compensation, shutter speed, aperture or ISO
- One Aspheric and one UD Lens, along with BR optics help to reduce chromatic aberration
- 12-pin communication system
- L-Series dust and weather resistant build with fluorine coating
- Air Sphere Coating (ASC) helps minimize lens flare and ghosting
The Canon RF 85mm F1.2 L USM lens is scheduled to be available June 2019 for an estimated retail price of $2699.00.