MediaTek today introduced its Dimensity 800 Series 5G chipset family that will bring flagship features, power and performance to New Premium mid-range 5G smartphones.
MediaTek’s Dimensity 5G chipset family offers system-on-chips (SoCs) with integrated 5G modems. The single chip solutions offer a combination of connectivity, multimedia, AI and imaging innovations packed into an efficient 7nm chip. The first devices featuring Dimensity 800 Series SoCs are expected to launch in the first half of 2020.
The Dimensity 800 Series integrates MediaTek’s 5G modem in one compact design,. The Dimensity 800 5G SoC supports 5G with two carrier aggregation (2CC CA) for 30 percent wider high speed layer coverage, more seamless 5G handover, and higher average throughput performance compared to other solutions, with single carrier (1CC, no CA).
The chipset is designed to support both stand alone and non-standalone sub-6GHz networks. It includes multi-mode support for every cellular connectivity generation from 2G to 5G, and also supports Dynamic Spectrum Sharing (DSS). The Dimensity 800 series includes support for services such as Voice over New Radio (VoNR), delivers connectivity across networks, and offers both data and voice on 5G.
The MediaTek Dimensity 800 family includes:
- Four Big Performance Cores: The Dimensity 800 Series pairs four big Arm Cortex-A76 cores operating up to 2GHz, with four power-efficient Arm Cortex-A55 cores operating at up to 2GHz.
- Flagship-grade GPU: Four cores of Dimensity 1000-class GPU IP, combined with MediaTek gaming technology – HyperEngine – power gaming.
- MediaTek’s APU 3.0 (AI Processing Unit): With four cores consisting of three different core types in its design, the 800 series provides up to 2.4TOPs performance. MediaTek’s APU HW design is more efficient and more powerful for FP16, delivering the most precise AI-camera results.
- Imaging: The flagship-class image signal processor (ISP) supports up to four concurrent cameras, allowing brands to have freedom in smartphone design. The 800 series supports up to 64MP cameras sensors or large multi-camera options such as 32+16MP dual cameras that are backed by the ultra-efficient hardware depth engine.
- AI Camera Enhancements: MediaTek put its flagship-class AI-camera enhancements into the 800 series. The chipset family includes AI-autofocus, auto exposure, auto white balance, noise reduction, high-dynamic-range (AI HDR) and dedicated facial detection hardware, along with the world’s first multi-frame
- 4K video HDR capability (Video HDR).
- Smooth Displays: The 800 series can support ultra-smooth Full HD+ displays up to 90Hz refresh rate.
The Dimensity 800 series is designed for global sub-6GHz 5G networks that are being deployed with increasing coverage throughout Asia, North America and Europe during 2020.