- HP has launched the PC-based HP DVD-Writer dvd100i and 4.7 GB DVD+RW discs for data and video storage. This drive is expected to be available in retail stores worldwide in the next four to six weeks.
- At the end of September, Ricoh will begin shipping the Ricoh MP5120A PC drive, which has DVD+RW and CD-R/CD-RW writing capability. Also in September, Ricoh will begin shipping its 4.7GB DVD+RW discs for data and video storage.
- Verbatim Corporation will ship 4.7GB DVD+RW and DVD+R discs for the PC and consumer electronics markets.
- Sony Corporation, also showing its support for the DVD+RW format, is preparing to introduce a DVD+RW drive for PCs and DVD+RW discs optimized for both PC and video applications.
- Thomson announced that it will release a DVD+RW recorder in 2002.
- Yamaha Corporation announced that it will release a DVD+RW recorder in 2002.
Gartner Group/Dataquest analysts predict the rewritable DVD market will reach approximately 2.1 million units in 2002 and grow to about 14.5 million units by 2005.