Current MVC essential patent holders include Dolby Laboratories Licensing Corporation; Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft zur Foerderung der angewandten Forschung e.V.; Fujitsu Limited; Hewlett-Packard Company; Hitachi Consumer Electronics Co., Ltd.; Koninklijke KPN N.V.; LG Electronics Inc.; Mitsubishi Electric Corporation; Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corporation (NTT); NTT DOCOMO, Inc.; Panasonic Corporation; Sharp Corporation; Sony Corporation; The Trustees of Columbia University in the City of New York; and Thomson Licensing.
Bill Geary, Vice President of Business Development at MPEG LA, will introduce the MVC patent pool license at the Asia-Pacific 3D Standards & IP Forum to be held on February 24 in Seoul, Korea. Mr. Geary said, "We are honored to introduce an efficient patent licensing solution for 3D MVC video and join a multi-national panel of speakers who will address IP and standards development for 3D applications in entertainment, medicine, and education."
Below is a brief summary of the licensing terms for informational purposes only. The MVC Patent Portfolio License may be obtained from MPEG LA at http://www.mpegla.com/main/programs/MVC/Pages/AgreementExpress.aspx.
- Royalty of $0.10 per unit for a Multiple View MVC Product including an MVC decoder, encoder, or codec
- Licensees also may choose a simplified reporting option affording them a 10% discount on per unit encoder and decoder royalties (not applicable to Legal Entity/Enterprise Cap)
- Includes right to make, have made, sell, offer for sale, import, and for an end user to use Multiple View MVC Products
- Legal Entity/Enterprise cap of $6.5 million annually for Multiple View MVC Products
- Title-by-Title Multiple View MVC Video including 3D Blu-ray® optical
- 12 minutes or less = no royalty
- At least 12 minutes in length = lower of (a) 1% or (b) $0.01 per title
- Subscription Multiple View MVC Video (not limited by title)
- 100,000 or fewer subscribers/yr = no royalty
- 100,001 to 250,000 subscribers/yr = $25,000
- 250,001 to 500,000 subscribers/yr = $50,000
- 500,001 to 1,000,000 subscribers/yr = $75,000
- 1,000,001 to 5,000,000 subscribers/yr = $100,000
- 5,000,001 to 25,000,000 subscribers/yr = $200,000
- Greater than 25M subscribers/yr = $300,000
- Legal Entity/Enterprise cap of $6.5 million annually for Subscription and Title-by-Title Multiple View MVC Video
- Coverage from January 1, 2010
- Royalties payable on licensed products from January 1, 2011
- Initial license term to December 31, 2016 with right of renewal