Apple is expected to announce in a few weeks some updates in its most important products, including “Pro” iPhones, upgrades to iPads and a larger laptop.
Bloomberg has posted an article about the new devices, citing unnamed sources. Although most of the information had been widely expected and is based on assumptions that almnost anyone close to tech could make, here is a summary:
- Three new iPhones coming next month, which will likely go on sale in September. “Pro” iPhone models will succeed the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max as well as a successor to the iPhone XR.
The main feature of the Pro iPhones will be a new camera system on the back with a third sensor for capturing ultra-wide-angle photos and videos. The sensors will capture three images simultaneously and use new artificial intelligence software to automatically correct the combined photo. Photos taken in very low-light environments will improve, too.
The high-end handsets are also expected to shoot better videos and will allow users to apply effects, alter colors, reframe and crop them. In addition, the new Pro phones are expected to support a reverse wireless charging system so that a user will be able to power-up the latest AirPods in the optional wireless-charging case by leaving it on the back of the new phones. This is similar to a capability that Samsung rolled out for its Galaxy handsets earlier this year.
The phones will also include a new multi-angle Face ID sensor that captures a wider field of view so that users can unlock the handsets more easily. The new models are expected to have updated OLED screens that lack the pressure-sensitive 3D Touch technology. Apple is replacing this with Haptic Touch. The iPhone XR’s successor is gaining a second back camera for optical zoom, the ability to zoom in further without degrading quality, and enhanced portrait mode.
All of the new iPhones will have faster A13 processors. None of the new models will include 5G.
- Also coming in 2019: Refreshed versions of the iPad Pro with upgraded cameras and faster chips, an entry-level iPad with a larger screen, new versions of the Apple Watch, and a revamp to the MacBook Pro laptop coming sometime this year.
- Apple is planning to refresh the iPad Pro and its low-end iPad for schools. The 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pros will get similar upgrades to the iPhones, gaining upgraded cameras and faster processors. Otherwise, the new iPads will look like the current versions.
- The low-end iPad’s screen will be 10.2-inches.
- Updates audio accessories, including AirPods and the HomePod speaker, are in the works, too.
- Also coming this year are a refreshed Mac Pro and its accompanying monitor, iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Mac, Apple Watch software updates, Apple TV+ video and Apple Arcade gaming subscription services.
- The new Apple Watch will come with the watchOS 6 software update, and new case finishes.
- New AirPods will be water resistant and will support noise cancellation.
- Apple is also working on a cheaper HomePod for as early as next year.
- Apple is planning a revamped MacBook Pro with a screen over 16-inches diagonally.
- Apple is also launching the previously announced Mac Pro and 32-inch XDR Pro Display later this year.