New products enable wide range of consumer electronics and traditional applications, including portable media players. Seagate today announced new hard drives for the automotive market, an 2.5-inch drive for DVRs and game consoles, and an 8GB drive for portable media players. The company also introduced products for the computing market including a 2.5-inch drives utilizing perpendicular recording, a high capacity external and portable hard drives, and the first drives with Full Disc Encryption.
New Consumer Electronics Drives
- The EE25 Series — a hard drive designed specifically for use in cars, an enviromentaly resistant hard drive that can operate in temperatures from -30 to 85 degrees C and in high-humidity and high-altitude environments.
- The ST1 Series — an 8GB 1-inch hard drive designed for use in handheld and CompactFlash applications.
- The LD25 Series — a 2.5-inch hard drive designed for the latest game consoles, and smaller and cooler-running small footprint PCs and home entertainment devices.
- The DB35 Series — with a new 500GB capacity for DVR and home entertainment systems.
- The 8GB CompactFlash Photo Hard Drive — with a 8GB capacity in a tiny 1-inch size for digital cameras. It will be sold through select retail outlets.
- Momentus 5400.3 — a 2.5-inch notebook drive utilizing perpendicular recording. Seagate claims that the new 160GB disc drive will combine higher 5,400-rpm performance with 25 percent more capacity than the largest notebook drive currently available.
- Momentus FDE — Seagate will offer hardware-based full disc encryption technology on its new Momentus FDE family of hard drives. FDE technology requires only a user key to encrypt all data, not just selected files or partitions, on the drive.
Desktop PC Drives
- The New Barracuda 7200.9 — combining 3GB/s SATA-interface throughput - double that of first-generation SATA - with 500GB of capacity, 16 Mbytes of cache and Native Command Queuing (NCQ).
- The new Seagate External Hard Drive — an external drive with a 500GB capacity. Seagate will also introduce the new FireWire 800 (IEEE 1394b) interface for the external hard drive.
- The new Seagate Portable External Hard Drive — with a 120GB capacity and a FireWire interface.
Seagate is shipping limited quantities of the Seagate 8GB ST1 Series and the Seagate LD25 Series now to select OEM customers. The Seagate 500GB DB35 Series will ship this summer. The Seagate EE25 Series will ship this fall. The Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 and the Seagate 120GB Portable External Hard Drive will start shipping later this summer. The Seagate 500GB External Hard Drive will ship this fall. The Seagate Momentus 5400 FDE and the Momentus 5400.3 will ship this winter.
For more information on Seagate's new products, visit www.seagate.com.