MediaTek today announced the release of the MT6753, a 64-bit Octa-core mobile system-on-chip (SoC) for smartphones and the Quad-core MT8173 SoC for tablets. Mediatek said that the MT6753 SoC will be offered "at a price that creates strong value for customers," especially as it comes with integrated CDMA2000 to ensure compatibility in every market. It features eight ARM Cortex-A53 64-bit processors and Mali-T720 GPU.
Key Features of MT6753 include:
- Octa-core, up to 1.5GHz ARM Cortex-A53 64-bit processors with MediaTek's CorePilot multi-processor technology
- Mali-T720 GPU with support for the Open GL ES 3.0 and Open CL 1.2 APIs and premium graphics for gaming and UI effects
- Supports low-power, 1080p, 30fps video playback on the emerging video codec standard H.265 and legacy H.264 and 1080p, 30fps H.264 video recording
- Integrated 16MP camera image signal processor with support for features like PIP (Picture-in-Picture), VIV (Video in Video) and Video Face Beautifier
- Display support up to HD 1920x1080 60fps resolution with MediaTek MiraVision technology for DTV-grade picture quality
- Integrated 4G LTE WorldMode
- Modem & RF
- Rel. 9, Category 4 FDD and TDD LTE (150 Mb/s downlink, 50 Mb/s uplink)
- 3GPP Rel. 8, DC-HSPA+ (42 Mb/s downlink, 11 Mb/s uplink), TD-SCDMA and EDGE are supported for legacy 2G/3G networks
- CDMA2000 1x/EVDO Rev. A
- Comprehensive RF support (B1 to B41) and the ability to mix multiple low-, mid-, and high bands for a global roaming solution
- Supports dual-band Wi-Fi to connect to a wide array of wireless routers and enable new applications like video sharing over Miracast
Bluetooth 4.0, supporting low-power connection to fitness gadgets, wearables and other accessories, such as Bluetooth headsets
The first commercial devices based on the MT6753 are expected to be available in Q2, 2015.
MediaTek also today announced in Barcelona the first tablet system-on-chip (SoC) in a family that features an ARM Cortex-A72 processor.
The MT8173 is designed with a 64-bit Multi-core big.LITTLE architecture that combines two Cortex-A72 CPUs and two Cortex-A53 CPUs. It boasts a six-fold increase in performance compared to the company's MT8125 SoC released in 2013.
The MT8173 offers up to 2.4GHz performance, supporting OpenCL with the deployment of MediaTek Corepilot 2.0, and enables heterogeneous computing between the CPU and GPU. The SoC also ensures high display clarity and motion fluency on 120Hz display.
The MT8173 platform features:
- True Heterogeneous 64-bit Multi-Core big.LITTLE architecture up to 2.4GHz
- Features ARM Cortex-A72 and ARM Cortex-A53 64-bit CPU
- Big cores and LITTLE cores can run at full speed at the same time for peak performance requirement
- Performance of up to 2.4GHz
- Imagination PowerVR GX6250 GPU
- Supports OpenGL ES 3.1, OpenCL for future applications
- Delivers 350Mtri/s and 2.8 Gpix/s performance
- WQXGA display at 60fps
- 120Hz mobile display
- Ultra HD 30fps H.264/HEVC(10-bit)/VP9 hardware video playback
- WQXGA display support with TV-grade picture quality enhancement
- HDMI and Miracast support for multi-screen applications
- 20MP camera ISP with video face beautify and LOMO effects
- Supports Widevine Level 1, Miracast with HDCP
- HDCP 2.2 for premium video to 4k TV display
MT8173 is available now, and will be featured in the first commercial tablets in second half of this year.
MediaTek also announced the launch of MediaTek Ventures - a new strategic investment arm within the company. Headquartered in Hsinchu, Taiwan, MediaTek Ventures will initially invest in startups in Greater China, Europe, Japan and North America, with a US$300m reserve.
MediaTek Ventures will actively invest into startups in semiconductor-system-and devices, Internet infrastructure, services and IoT, with the goal of creating a collaborative ecosystem around MediaTek's corporate objectives in communication, computing, online media and analytics. Investments will include all stages of funding with a disciplinary approach focused on value creation.
"We will not constrain ourselves to any single region in pursuit of innovation and excellence. Through MediaTek Ventures, a new generation of world-class companies will be empowered. We are excited to enable entrepreneurs and start-ups in achieving their dreams and fostering companies that have the potential to create value to end-users around the world and solve the world's biggest problems," said David Ku, Chief Financial Officer, MediaTek.