1. Features, specs
Shuttle has recently introduced a a new mini PC. The XPC Barebone SH81R4 is styled similarly to Shuttle PCs released in the past and is actually an entry-level barebone unit with an LGA1150 socket and a friendly price tag. The device can be used as the foundation for Mini-PC complete systems on office desks, at events, as mobile data processors or in the home environment.
The barebone comes with a motherboard that uses the Intel H81 chipset, along with support for up to 16 GB of DDR3 memory. All LGA1150 CPUs are supported, as the maximum TDP is rated at 95 W.
Inside the case there are two SATA3 (6 Gb/s) connectors, one SATA2 (3 Gb/s) connector, a PCI-Express 3.0 x16 slot, and a PCI-Express x1 slot, along with two Mini-PCI-Express slots, one of which is only a half-size slot.
Rear I/O consists of six USB 2.0 ports, two USB 3.0 ports, Gigabit Ethernet, HDMI, DVI, and stereo analog audio jacks. Two USB 2.0 ports and a pair of HD audio jacks handle front I/O.
A speed-controlled heatpipe cooling system with a 92 mm fan provides cooling, while a 300 W power unit supplies the entire system with energy.
In order to actually use the unit, you'll have get a CPU, memory, and storage. Additionally, you could add a graphics card, an SSD or optical drive or a wireless radio. A CPU cooler is included with the unit. Shuttle is offering the following optional accessories: PC63J (500 W power supply unit), H-RS232 (serial interface), WLN-C (WLAN kit) and PHD3 (mounting frame for 2.5" drives).
Shuttle's recommended retail price for the XPC Barebone SH81R4 is €179 (ex VAT).
- Black aluminum chassis with acrylic front plate
- Customizable front panel design: change the mylar and add a personal design such as a photo, graphics or a logo to the front panel.
- Storage bays: 1 x 5.25" (external), 2 x 3.5" (internal)
- Dimensions: 32.5 x 21.5 x 19 cm (LWH) = 13.3 liters (without rubber feet)
- Weight: 3.4 kg net / 4.5 kg gross
- Mainboard / Chipset
- Shuttle mainboard FH81, Shuttle form factor, proprietary design for XPC SH81R4
- Chipset/Southbridge: Intel H81 (code name: Lynx Point)
- Platform Controller Hub (PCH): Intel DH82H81
- Passive chipset cooling with heat sink
- The Northbridge is integrated into the processor.
- Solid Capacitors for sensitive areas
- AMI BIOS, SPI Interface, 32MBit Flash-ROM
- Supports PnP, ACPI 3.0, Hardware Monitoring
- Supports boot up from external USB flash memory
- Supports Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI)
- Power supply
- Built-in 300 Watt mini switching power supply (model PC61J)
- AC input voltage: 100~240V, 50~60 Hz
- 80 PLUS Bronze compliant: The PSU provides at least 82/85/82% of efficiency at 20/50/100% of load.
- Active PFC circuit (Power Factor Correction)
- ATX main power connectors: 2x10 and 2x2-pin
- Graphics power connector: 6-pin
- Other connectors: 4x SATA, 2x Molex, 1x Floppy
- Processor support
- Socket LGA 1150 (H3) supports the fourth generation of Intel Core i7 / i5 / i3, Pentium and Celeron processors
- Maximum supported processor power consumption (TDP) = 95W
- Codename "Haswell", 22nm process technology, up to 8 MB of L3 cache
- Does not support the unlock-function of Intel K-Series processors.
- The processor integrates PCI-Express, memory controller
and the graphics engine on the same die (depends on processor type)
- Heat-pipe processor cooling
- Shuttle I.C.E. (Integrated Cooling Engine) advanced I.C.E. heatpipe technology, linear-controlled 92mm fan
- SilentX cooling and noise reduction technology with Active Airflow
- Memory support
- 2 x 240-pin slots
- Supports DDR3-1600 SDRAM memory (PC3-12800)
- Supports Dual Channel mode
- Supports max. 8 GB per DIMM and a maximum total capacity of 16 GB
- PCIe Expansion Slots
- 1x PCI-Express x16 v3.0 slot (PEG, for graphics cards only)
- 1x PCI-Express x1 v2.0 slot, open-ended 
- Supports dual-slot (double-width) graphics cards (occupies the second PCI-Express slot) with 6-pin power connector for the graphics card.
- Mini PCIe Slots
- half-size, supports PCIe 2.0 and USB 2.0, e.g. for WLAN cards 
- full-size, supports PCIe 2.0, SATA 3.0 (6 Gbps) and USB 2.0 e.g. for Mini SATA (mSATA) flash memory cards
- Integrated Graphics (optional)
- The integrated Intel HD Graphics depends on the type of processor used.
- It supports hardware decoding for H.264 and MPEG-2 video, Intel Quick-Sync video encoding, HDCP, Blu-ray playback, DirectX 11.1 and Shader Model 5.0.
- Maximum shared memory size: 1692MB
- This PC supports Dual Monitoring with two independent displays.
- Two digital video outputs (DVI-I and HDMI) support resolutions of up to 1920x1200 @ 60Hz (1080p/60 Full-HD).
- The HDMI output also supports one 4K display running at 3840 x 2160 (2160p/30Hz) high resolution.
- DVI-I supports analog VGA displays with an optional VGA-to-DVI-adapter.
- HDMI supports HD video plus multi-channel digital audio via a single cable.
- HD audio
- Audio Codec: Realtek ALC662, 5.1 channel
- Three analog audio connectors (3.5mm) at the back panel: Line-in (blue), line-out (green) and microphone input (pink) shared with 5.1 channel line-out (front, rear, center/bass)
- Front panel: microphone input and head phone output (line-out)
- Gigabit LAN
- Realtek RTL 8111E Ethernet network controller
- PCI Express interface
- IEEE 802.3u 1000Base-T compliant
- Supports 10 / 100 / 1.000 MBit/s operation
- Supports Wake-on-LAN (WOL)
- Supports booting from LAN (PXE)
- Drive connectors
- 2x Serial ATA 6G ( rev. 3.0, max. 6 Gbit/s, color: blue)
- 1x Serial ATA 3G ( rev. 2.0, max. 3 Gbit/s, color: orange)
- Other connectors
- Front panel connectors: USB, audio, buttons, LEDs
- 1x RS232 serial interface (2x5 pins)
- 2x fan connectors (4 pins)
- Digital S/PDIF output (3 pins)