Sony today announced the new pocket-sized vlog camera ZV-1 (hereafter referred to as ZV-1)– a compact “all-in-one” style solution.
Designed for content creators and vloggers, the ZV-1 combines features with imaging technology.
It features a 1.0-type stacked Exmor RS CMOS image sensor with DRAM chip and 24-70mm F1.8-2.8 ZEISS Vario-Sonnar T* large-aperture lens creating background bokeh (background blur), allowing the subject to stand out from the background. The camera locks on and tracks subjects with high accuracy and speed using Sony’s autofocus system. The ZV-1 also includes the latest-generation BIONZ X image processor with front-end LSI delivering high resolution as well as low noise. It also combines this imaging technology with high-quality audio options. The ZV-1 is Sony’s first compact camera with a side-opening Vari-angle LCD touchscreen, making it easier to compose your shots in selfie mode while connecting external audio accessories. To meet any video need, the ZV-1 contains advanced video features including 4K movie recording and in-body image stabilisation.
This compact (approx. 294g / 105.5mm x 60.0mm x 43.5mm) camera is the first Sony compact camera with a side-opening Vari-angle LCD Screen, allowing creators to simplify their setup by utilising the MI shoe for optional external mics without the need of an additional mounting bracket.
The ZV-1 also includes major advances in image stabilisation, ensuring steady video even when shooting hand-held while walking. When recording in HD (Active mode), optical and electronic stabilisation methods are combined to reduce shaking up to 11 times that of standard SteadyShot. When shooting 4K video using Optical SteadyShot (Active mode), there is improvement in stabilisation effect of up to 8 times that of standard SteadyShot. The ZV-1 is also compatible with the GP-VPT2BT Shooting Grip with Wireless Remote Commander, offering additional stability and comfort combined with cable-free connectivity.
Despite the small form factor there are pro-level movie making capabilities, including:
- 4K movie recording with full pixel readout and no pixel binning in high bit rate XAVC S™ codec.[vii]
- Industry standard 3.5mm microphone input
- Hybrid Log-Gamma (HDR)[viii] / S-Gamut3.Cine / S-Log3, S-Gamut3 / S-Log3
- Interval Shooting[ix] for stunning time-lapse videos[x]
- Super Slow-Motion[xi] recording at up to 1000fps[xii]
- Compatibility with ‘Movie Edit add-on’[xiii] from the “Imaging Edge™” mobile application for image stabilisation while editing Highlight ability to edit aspect ratios for IG etc.
You can also transform the ZV-1 into a webcam by connecting it to a PC via USB. This new Sony’s PC software will be available in July 2020.
The Vlog Camera ZV-1 will be available in Europe in June 2020, priced at approximately €800.
Sony today also announced a new 4K Handycam featuring a in-built gimbal mechanism, Balanced Optical SteadyShot technology, for capturing high-quality video footage.
The FDR-AX43 implements some of Sony’s imaging technologies including:
- Balanced Optical SteadyShot with a unique in-built-gimbal mechanism for smooth footage while walking, running or at full zoom
- ZEISS Vario-Sonnar T* zoom lens with wide angle of 26.8mm
- 20x optical zoom and Clear Image Zoom of 30x for 4K / 40x for HD
- 1/2.5-type Exmor R CMOS image sensor[xix] and BIONZ image processing engine
- High-bitrate shooting (100Mbps for XAVC S 4K, 50Mbps for XAVC S HD)[xx]
- Fast Intelligent AF
- Microphone structure with three mic capsules sound gathering
- Flip-screen for selfie shooting
- Long battery life (Up to 235 mins continuous recording time with the supplied battery) and power supply from AC adaptor
- New Highlight Movie Maker which creates short movies in-camera in 4K or HD resolution without any need for post-production editing. Easily share MP4 movies on social media sites via smartphone.
The FDR-AX43 will be available in Europe in July 2020, priced at approximately €700.