Two years after the introduction of the first Chromebook Pixel, Google is coming up up with two new models -- a $999 base model and a $1,299 "Ludicrous Speed" (LS) version. Compared to the older model, the new Pixel includes two USB-C connectors and a new fifth-generation Core i5 "Broadwell-U" chip, which will help extend the Pixel’s battery life from a five hours to a twelve.
As before, the Pixel is powered by a combination of Google’s Chrome OS and Google’s cloud services, which include Gmail, Google Drive, and the Chrome browser, as well as something a collection of apps, which can run on top of the Chrome OS and add functionality the original Pixel lacked.
The $999 basic model includes a 2.2GHz fifth-generation Core i5, 8GB of memory, and a 32GB SSD. The $1,299 "Ludicrous Speed" (LS) model packs a 2.4GHz Core i7, 16GB of RAM, and a 64GB SSD. Otherwise, both are identical. They include a lower-power version of the original Pixel’s 12.85-inch, 2,560x1,700 (239 pixels per inch) 3:2 touch display, with an improved sRGB color gamut, and powered by an Intel HD Graphics 5500 chip. In addition to the dual USB-C connectors, the new Pixels offer two legacy USB-A ports and an SD card slot, with Wi-Fi 802.11ac inside.
Google is also launching today the Google Store, the new home for the latest devices made with Google.
At store.google.com, you can shop Nexus phones and tablets, Chromecast and Chromebooks, learn more about newer technology like Android Wear, Nexus Player and Nest, and stock up on accessories like cases, keyboards and chargers. The Google Store is available on your phone, tablet, or laptop, and right now you’ll get free.
- Size and weight:
- 11.7” x 8.8” x 0.6” (297.7mm x 224.55mm x 15.3mm)
- 3.3lbs (1.5Kg)
- Touch screen:
- 12.85" display with a media-friendly 3:2 aspect ratio
- 2560 x 1700, at 239 PPI
- 400 nit brightness
- 178° extra-wide viewing angle
- Processor and memory:
- Intel Core i5 processor, 2.2GHz, 8GB memory or
- Intel Core i7 processor, 2.4GHz, 16GB memory
- Battery: Up to 12 hours of battery life
- Multi-touch screen
- Backlit Chrome keyboard
- Fully clickable, etched-glass trackpad
- Ports and connectors:
- 2x USB Type-C (up to 5Gbps data, 4K display out with optional HDMI or DisplayPort™ adapter, 60W charging)
- 2x USB 3.0 Standard A
- SD card reader
- Headphone/mic combo
- Camera: 720P HD wide angle camera with blue glass
- Storage: 32GB or 64GB of flash storage
- Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260
- 802.11ac (supports a/b/g/n/ac)
- 2.4 and 5GHz, 2x2 spatial streams
- Bluetooth 4.0 BR/EDR/LE Smart Ready controller
- High power stereo speakers
- Built-in microphone
- Headphone/mic combo
- Intel HD Graphics 5500 (Integrated)
- Supports 4K video output over DisplayPort or HDMI with optional Type-C video adapter cable
- Charger: Universal Type-C USB Charger, 60W