Sony's new Blu-ray Disc players come equipped with the PlayStation Now (PS Now) application. With PS Now, users can stream and play select PlayStation 3 games directly on a TV, without a console, using their Sony Blu-ray Disc player and a DUALSHOCK 4 controller with USB cable.
Thanks to improved Wi-Fi capabilities, the new models, with the exception of the entry-level BDP-S1500 which requires a wired connection, promise to deliver more reliable access to home wireless networks. The new players can also play movies and music stored locally on a hard disc drive, flash drive or a home network server.
In the top-of-the-line BDP-S6500, Sony has incorporated IP Content Noise Reduction Pro technology to improve the appearance of low-resolution clips streamed from the web, as well as enhancing video from Blu-ray Discs to 4K Ultra HD resolution. In addition, the BDP-S6500 has a Digital Music Enhancer which combines Sony?s proprietary audio technologies to restore those subtle high frequency details that get lost when listening to heavily-compressed digital music files and also restores lost dynamics in low-bit rate audio tracks.
2015 Blu-ray Disc Player Line-up - Model BDP-S6500, BDP-S5500, BDP-S3500 and BDP-S1500
BDP-S6500 Blu-ray Disc Player
Flagship model with 4K upscaling function
Available in early Summer 2015
- 4K upscaling and 3D capable, with Dual Core processor for fast performance
- Outstanding Wi-Fi performance with superior wireless reception for streaming over 300 online applications and services
- Miracast technology mirrors mobile device on compatible TVs
- PlayStationNow: Stream and enjoy PlayStation3 Games
- Full HD1080p Blu-ray Disc playback with 2D to 3D conversion for 3D compatible TVs
- TRILUMINOS Display technology produces high-quality images
- IP Noise Reduction Pro improves picture quality of streamed content
- Quick Start/Load allows watching movies faster than ever
- Easy access to Apps and functions with a new and customizable user interface